EcoBoost in a 1966 Thunderbird?

TacMan97
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
None
I'm picking up a gutted 66 T-Bird and wanted to know if there were any kits to put in an EcoBoost in it. If not I'm more than willing to take suggestions on both engine and transmissions.

Well any rear wheel drive vehicle's engine / transmission could be made to fit. Depends on what you want out of the vehicle, a daily driver, odd events or track monster. I'm in the UK so limited in terms of original parts without massive shipping costs! Again how much cash you have is going to be a major factor in choice. An original or similar would be easy fit, a modern engine whatever type will need some mods on the mountings, prop and shifter. I'm always after the noise of the V8, don't care if its not amazingly fast, its just gotta sound right aswell as look the part! I've built many vehicles and often what come at the right price plays a big part unless the vehicle needs to stay original for historic / value etc.

I'm picking up a gutted 66 T-Bird and wanted to know if there were any kits to put in an EcoBoost in it. If not I'm more than willing to take suggestions on both engine and transmissions.
It would be a dog at least until the turbos kicked in (with the weight of the vehicle, that would be all the time). Then the gas mileage would less or equal to a big V-8........al lot of work and wouldn’t increase value at all......

It would be a dog at least until the turbos kicked in (with the weight of the vehicle, that would be all the time). Then the gas mileage would less or equal to a big V-8........al lot of work and wouldn’t increase value at all......

Not sure if you have ever driven a F150 Ecoboost? No disrespect intended at all here, but the empty weight of a full size 2019 f150 is 4069 lbs., and with the ecoboost engine these trucks are no dogs at all. Not very much weight difference between the 66 Tbird and the truck. With the right gearing it would make the 66 a nice performer, and fuel mileage a lot better the the 390 or 428. I'd say go for it, would be a neat project and the thing about these Tbirds is they don't demand any real high collector prices anyway.
Just my opinion here and no disrespect of any one elses.
Take care
Ed

Not sure if you have ever driven a F150 Ecoboost? No disrespect intended at all here, but the empty weight of a full size 2019 f150 is 4069 lbs., and with the ecoboost engine these trucks are no dogs at all. Not very much weight difference between the 66 Tbird and the truck. With the right gearing it would make the 66 a nice performer, and fuel mileage a lot better the the 390 or 428. I'd say go for it, would be a neat project and the thing about these Tbirds is they don't demand any real high collector prices anyway.
Take care
Ed
Agree, they don't fetch big money at the moment so making one different and possibly more usable I'd say is a bonus.

Take care
Ed
What would you recommend for the gearing?

What would you recommend for the gearing?
Standard in the Ford 9” is 3:00/1. If you are using the AOD from the V6, I would install 3:50/1 gears (or similar).

I know that my 64 with a Stroked 351w and AOD has 3.50 gearing and it is a good setup.. Cruises down the road at 70 a little over 2100 RPM's. If I were setting mine up I think I would go 3.73, a little more RPM and a noticeable amount of torque on the pavement. I am not sure what trans you would use with the Ecoboost, but I am sure it is a 6 speed auto. Depending on how much Over Drive those have would be the deciding factor in the rear gear. You may be able to go to something like 4.11
Take care

Back