E-brake cable fitment 1992

P
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi guys & gals. A newbie here to the nm12 who needs some help..
Subject vehicle is a 92 3.8 with rear drum brakes. Car has been sitting and has 55k miles. Had to do a rear brake replacement for leaking rear brake cylinders. Did that work, but found during the replacement that both rear brake cables were froze up solid. Compressed the "adjuster" by the rear diff to fully compressed, and everything forward works fine.
Ordered new cables from Advance, waited two freaking weeks for them, and then go try to install. They were an aftermarket brand "D" man, and they seem to be a little bit short and I can not get them over the lever attached to the trailing shoe's arm. Both driver and passenger same problem, they are the same p/n per the catalog listing. The parts I got also cross reference to a 1997 Supra. My questions:

1. What trick is there to get these puppies on? They seem to be about a half inch too short and the springs on the cable itself have a good bit of tension on them.
2. Is there another brand available that fits better? My local Ford dealer, who has sold me a bunch of Focus parts over the years (DD is an SVT) says OBSOLETE, good luck)

I've taken stuff off and on the car now for three nights in a row, and I am at a loss.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You should just find what you need from a wrecking yard I've been dealing with these cars for years I don't trust most aftermarket parts they don't seem to get them right

Back