Disc brake conversion

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

This is one I've been considering. Their site says it will work with no offsets and will also fit 14 inch wheels. I should think it would work with your wheels. (thunderbirdbrakeparts). I think if you use the booster they supply you would have to move your battery. Not a problem for me because I am planning to move my battery to the trunk.

1955 1956 1957 Thunderbird Front Disc Kit & Power Booster Kit. Comes with 11" rotors, loaded calipers, mounting brackets and hardware. Includes 8" Dual Power brake booster combo w/ mounting brackets that bolts to the firewall and clears the hood hatch. This is our best selling front disc kit and does not offset the wheels and fits most 14" wheels.

This is one I've been considering. Their site says it will work with no offsets and will also fit 14 inch wheels. I should think it would work with your wheels. (thunderbirdbrakeparts). I think if you use the booster they supply you would have to move your battery. Not a problem for me because I am planning to move my battery to the trunk.

1955 1956 1957 Thunderbird Front Disc Kit & Power Booster Kit. Comes with 11" rotors, loaded calipers, mounting brackets and hardware. Includes 8" Dual Power brake booster combo w/ mounting brackets that bolts to the firewall and clears the hood hatch. This is our best selling front disc kit and does not offset the wheels and fits most 14" wheels.
What is the best company to get these disc brake conversion kits?

Like anything else it depends on who you talk to. I know Hill's does the conversions on customer cars and they can tell you all about the system they use and any issues they have had. From everything I've read there are usually some problems no matter what system you buy. I just like the system I am looking at because it has a power booster right at the firewall. I have also been toying with the idea of installing an electric powered master cylinder then there would be no connections to the vacuum system. (I'm also planning on electric wipers to get away from those ancient vacuum wipers)

What is the best company to go through for disc brake conversion

I’m looking to upgrade the front brakes on my 57 Teebird to disc brakes can anyone tell me if I will have issues with the Kelsey Hayes replica wire wheels ?

I have a complete CHROME set which includes the Master Brake Booster, all components for the WilWood conversion.
I obtained it from Tony Genty at Jameco Parts. (tgenty@jamcoparts.com). Extremely high quality components.
A little expensive but it is worth what you pay for and their service support.

Tried this on my 1955 thunderbird.....went back to OEM....if I had to do it again the only one to get is willwood.....all the others are crap and give little support.

No, they work great except for the high pedal, but working on that.......my 1957 T B

Like anything else it depends on who you talk to. I know Hill's does the conversions on customer cars and they can tell you all about the system they use and any issues they have had. From everything I've read there are usually some problems no matter what system you buy. I just like the system I am looking at because it has a power booster right at the firewall. I have also been toying with the idea of installing an electric powered master cylinder then there would be no connections to the vacuum system. (I'm also planning on electric wipers to get away from those ancient vacuum wipers)
Do you know if any of the conversions you can use the original booster ?

Do you know if any of the conversions you can use the original booster ?
It depends on which system you get. The quick answer is, Yes the systems will work using the original style vacuum assist. If I were to convert I would rather use a firewall mounted booster and relocate my battery. I'm planning to install a "Perfectfit" A/C system so I won't need the heater / blower assembly on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I would put my battery there on the passenger side rather than go to the trunk and run 15 feet of wire to get power to the front of the car.

Hello from Nashville Tn,
Owned her Thunderbird Green "56 for about two years and completed mots of the repairs. But thinking I would convert the old drum brakes to front discs.
I would replace the rear cylinders, pads and if needed the drums. Also thinking of a split master cylinder.
Can anyone rec a conversion kit ?
Phil in Tennessee
pwtrusty@*********

Back