Did all 1955's have a front sway bar?

D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I now have a 55 t-Bird and saw that it might have had a front sway bar. Did all the 55's come with one?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I revised your subject from "Sway bar for 55 T-Bird" to "Did all 1955's have a front sway bar?"

I now have a 55 t-Bird and saw that it might have had a front sway bar. Did all the 55's come with one?
I own a 55 thunderbird and it has a front sway bar. I’m quite sure that all birds have the front sway bar.
That being said I researched the sway bar when I began a total restoration a couple years ago and upgraded my front sway bar to a stronger and larger diameter one. I also decided to install a similar rear sway bar.
These bars can be purchased at Classic Thunderbird a 55,56,and 57 only Thunderbird parts and restoration company. They are shown in detail on their website and are made by a third party Amer made company and come with detailed installation instructions.
Hope this helps. JDJ

I own a 55 thunderbird and it has a front sway bar. I’m quite sure that all birds have the front sway bar.
That being said I researched the sway bar when I began a total restoration a couple years ago and upgraded my front sway bar to a stronger and larger diameter one. I also decided to install a similar rear sway bar.
These bars can be purchased at Classic Thunderbird a 55,56,and 57 only Thunderbird parts and restoration company. They are shown in detail on their website and are made by a third party Amer made company and come with detailed installation instructions.
Hope this helps. JDJ
Yes they did, all had one. Some idiot may have removed yours for who knows what reason.

I recently installed (4) new shocks and rear leaf springs. The ride is now terrific and I can’t imagine it being any better. Having said that, I have the rear sway bar sitting in my shop, thinking that the car would need it, and it would have been installed by now. I can understand it helping the bigger, heavier Birds. Just don’t want to install it if it’s not needed. Any one else’s experience on the “little” Birds? Tboidmark

Here’s a question, I don’t want to r&r the rear leaf springs yet so would a rear sway-bar help with the sponginess around turns? I was going to install spring over shocks or air shocks but couldn’t find any long enough. I was able to install air shocks on my’37 Ford to stop the wheel scrap due to old leaf springs. Someday I plan on having these springs rearched.
Thanks

I think we’ve kinda gotten away from the sway bar topic :)
I installed a set of Gabriel air shocks on my 57 last year. Perfect fit easy install. Hid the Schrader valve under the trunk mat. Made a big improvement in ride quality and tail sag. I only run about 65# in them.
did a google search, came up with a couple different companies that stock them, none being the regular “old t bird” parts places.

Here’s a question, I don’t want to r&r the rear leaf springs yet so would a rear sway-bar help with the sponginess around turns? I was going to install spring over shocks or air shocks but couldn’t find any long enough. I was able to install air shocks on my’37 Ford to stop the wheel scrap due to old leaf springs. Someday I plan on having these springs rearched.
Thanks
Thanks
I put an adduce rear sway bar on my '55 and it now will corner as well as any jag or other sportscar of the period...big difference!

Hotchkis sells a sway bar kit , designed for the Early T-Birds with both new front and rear sway bars. That kit and radial tires and you will not believe the improvement in the handling of your T-Bird. Great kit that comes with everything you need including easy to follow instructions. I wish I had put this kit on 20 years ago.

The air shocks mentioned earlier didn’t fit my‘55, they hit the exhaust pipes over the axle (too fat on top).

I ordered the 7/8” tear sway bar kit directly from Addco for $165. Same as what others are selling for >$200.. It made a big difference to correcting understeer and back end leaning and skirt rubbing! She tracks nice around corners now.

Not too hard to install but a lift really helped. Car must be on suspension. Do not let suspension hang. Be mindful of axle brake lines and rubber line over differential.

Back