Converting manual to automatic transmission for 1956

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi there,

I recently bought a 1956 with a manual transmission, and would like to swap the manual for an automatic. Has anyone here done the manual to automatic conversion, and if so, would you be willing to share your experience and what components you used for the swap? Thanks in advance!

SJ, if your manual transmission has overdrive, and it's in good condition, you might find it preferable to an automatic, once you adapt to it. There are better transmission choices than the Fordomatic.

Your best bet is to contact the TBird vendors that do restorations for parts. You will need all the gas pedal linkage for an automatic trans as well as the trans itself and the shifter. Popular conversions are a later automatic, either a Ford C-4 or and AOD (overdrive). A lot more work is involved with the AOD, the C-4 entails some adaptions. Certain C-4's and AOD's are better to use.

I would try Hills Classic cars in Racine in southern Ohio, they have a large supply of used small bird parts
They would be able to assist you with directions on what you need to do

Amos Minter has a big supply of parts from T-Birds that are beyond recovery. Basically a T-Bird wrecking yard. I have not found a web site for him as he is old school in that way but advertises in the Early Bird in almost every issue but is happy to take calls and email- https://amosminter.com/contact/
Good luck with your project. When Done I'm sure you will find somebody will buy your old Transmission if you advertise on the 'for sale' section here.

SJ, unless there is something special about your 56, you might consider trading your car for a 56/w Fordomatic. The Fordomatic cars are much more common. Start contacting Thunderbird clubs; hopefully you will generate some interest. You probably haven't owned your car long enough to become attached to it. Swapping cars, or selling yours and buying one with a Fordomatic might be less trouble (and cheaper) than converting yours. Also, you will know what you have by getting a car that's a proven driver.

I’ve got the original automatic, bell housing, etc. if you’re interested as I converted mine to manual.

They were removed from my car which had ~78K miles on it at the time. the car had been off the road since the early 70's and belonged to I man I worked for then. I aquired it ~7 years agoand did the conversion. I'm in SC. where are you located?
art

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

I recently bought a 1956 with a manual transmission, and would like to swap the manual for an automatic. Has anyone here done the manual to automatic conversion, and if so, would you be willing to share your experience and what components you used for the swap? Thanks in advance!
I have a '57 that I want to put a manual tranny into. Did you take your 3 speed stick shift out and do you want to part with it?

Hi there,

Prestige Thunderbird should also be able to help. They restore TBirds and have a lot of original parts.

If you want to convert to an automatic, then install a later Ford AOD (overdrive) transmission. You and the engine will appreciate it.

Back