Converting accessory plug to switched power on 2002

P
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Is there a relatively easy way to convert the left accessory plug to be switched (versus continuous) power?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Prob so somebody doesn't leave a cell phone or the like plugged in and constantly charging and draining the battery.

I would think the receptacle's existing power lead could be moved over to the power wire for the radio/CD player with little trouble. Most accessories one would plug in already have a fuse in the cigarette lighter adapter (e.g. GPS, etc), so there would be little chance of a current overload. The switched radio power wire in question could be easily located on a schematic and spliced into in about 50-60 minutes with most of that time devoted to removing/replacing panels in the console "center stack".

In my case, I used that receptacle for two "switched" power USB ports off my Kenwood radio upgrade for Apple car play and charging accessories.gap.jpgIMG_1590.jpg

Back