converter removal 1956

ron56

ron56

Last seen
Viewing thread 1956 Owned by Walt Disney
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone know if it is possible to slide the transmission back far enough in the frame to remove only the converter on a 1956? I've seen the info on how to remove the trans without removing the engine as a assembly. I was wonder if anyone had experience with how far back you could shift the trans.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just finished having my converter rebuilt on my 57. I have the x frame on mine. No way was I going to remove the trans without pulling the motor. It’s not a hard job to pull the engine out. Took me 4 hrs on my first try. I did have an overhead Lully to work with. Remove your inspection plate off the transmission. There are only 4 bolts to take the nuts off From the spring plate. Bolts are made to stay in place. Then take the motor out. Once you do that then you can replace the shaft seal the transmission pump seal and have the torque converter rebuilt. If you have some one to do it. There is a O ring seal between the plate. Careful with the converter. For the 57 there are no replacements to be found.

All 55-57s have "the x frame." When you say "spring plate," do you mean flex plate?

to me the spring plate is what attaches the engine from the fly wheel to the converter. I have always known it as a spring plat but if you see it as a flex plate it says the same thing.

to me the spring plate is what attaches the engine from the fly wheel to the converter. I have always known it as a spring plat but if you see it as a flex plate it says the same thing.
It is properly referred to as a flex plate.

Does anyone know if it is possible to slide the transmission back far enough in the frame to remove only the converter on a 1956? I've seen the info on how to remove the trans without removing the engine as a assembly. I was wonder if anyone had experience with how far back you could shift the trans.
Something to keep in mind is that to avoid damaging the transmission seal is that the torque converter needs to be installed in the transmission. The engine and transmission then should be "married" and the 4 nuts tightened to the studs coming through the flex plate. If you don't do this you have an excellent chance of having to replace the seal.

Back