Common 1956 issues

D
Last seen
Hi all,

I've found a '56 T-Bird for sale locally that I may want to check out. It has the 312 V8 in it with a 3 speed manual transmission. Before I make the trek out to see it, are there any problem areas with these cars that I should be aware of?

I'm very familiar with cougars and mustangs but this would be a first 50's era car for me.

Thanks!

DaveK

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Do you have a local club? It may be helpful to get someone in the club to view the car with you.

Hi all,

I've found a '56 T-Bird for sale locally that I may want to check out. It has the 312 V8 in it with a 3 speed manual transmission. Before I make the trek out to see it, are there any problem areas with these cars that I should be aware of?

I'm very familiar with cougars and mustangs but this would be a first 50's era car for me.

Thanks!

DaveK
Having restored both a 66 Mustang convertible and a 57 T-bird, I found rust in similar places on both cars. The one thing w/r to the T-bird is that you have a frame that could also be rusty. The T-bird does not have the cowl leaking issue like the early Mustangs. The electricals, running gear and mechanicals are very similar. I would strongly suggest that you get the car up on a lift so you can really inspect the floors, rocker panels, exhaust, etc. Body rot is the issue and if you are familiar with the Mustang, you should have no problem inspecting the T-Bird. All of the T-Bird parts are available - just not as cheap as the Mustang's.
Good luck,

Having restored both a 66 Mustang convertible and a 57 T-bird, I found rust in similar places on both cars. The one thing w/r to the T-bird is that you have a frame that could also be rusty. The T-bird does not have the cowl leaking issue like the early Mustangs. The electricals, running gear and mechanicals are very similar. I would strongly suggest that you get the car up on a lift so you can really inspect the floors, rocker panels, exhaust, etc. Body rot is the issue and if you are familiar with the Mustang, you should have no problem inspecting the T-Bird. All of the T-Bird parts are available - just not as cheap as the Mustang's.
Good luck,

Thanks!

Back