Clicking Hubcaps

MacasterJ
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I brought my T Bird home last week and haven't had a chance to really take her out until today. Since it was near 90 degrees I was cruising with the windows down and noticed a clicking sound coming from the right front tire. I popped the hubcap off and that fixed it. I plan on wrapping the metal tabs on the hubcap with a little bit of electrical tape before I put it back on. Hopefully that will stop the noise. Has anyone else run into this? If so what was your solution?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have had a similar problem for as long as I've had the car. I tried wrapping the claws in plastic which seemed to improve things until the claws cut through it. I have also tried bending the claws so they bite into the wheel more, which also seemed to improve things, although it wasn't a complete cure. I've found that although the clicking can be quite pronounced when setting off on a trip, the noise quietens down and virtually disappears after half a mile or so.

I've heard several theories including radial tires on old rims causing flexing; replacement rims that are not solid steel like the originals; rim walking from excelleration and/or braking...the last recommending steel shrader fill valves vs rubber to prevent sudden deflation if cut by hubcap. I've taken to applying a silicone bead to roughly 2/3 of the steel tabs. Not so much to prevent noise but to avoid watching my hub cap pass me as I make a turn or take off too fast. Replacements are expensive and getting harder to find good ones.

Thanks for the replies! I used some electrical tape around the inside of the hubcap where it touches the rim and that seems to have stopped the noise. Let's see how long it lasts!

Back