Carb retrofit for 1956

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Anyone done a carb retrofit to delete the stock Holley in favor of a 4150/4160/4100.
If so, please direct me to a source of info.
Thanks,
Mark

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Mark, you will either need to replace your intake manifold or buy an adapter; the carburetor bases have different bolt patterns. If you use an adapter, you might have insufficient hood clearance, especially if you do not have the original air cleaner or an aftermarket/w drop base. You will also have to re-plumb between fuel pump and carburetor. The first-generation Holley 465 cfm carburetor uses a heat choke, like the original Holley 4000 Teapot carburetor; all others will have either electric/manual choke. New 4150 carburetors have dual inlets on the passenger side; the 4160 has a single inlet n the driver's side. I have a 4150 and 57 intake manifold (no adapter necessary). If you change carburetors, you will need a 57-up distributor as well. Newer carburetors are not compatible with the 55-56 Loadomatic distributor.

My "teapot" is needing to be rebuilt. I already converted it to electric choke and am using a MSD distributor. You can tell my car is not bone stock. My question is concerning the air filter. I love the way the original oil bath air cleaner looks. (I would convert it to a 1957 paper element but cannot justify $400). I would like to retain this air cleaner if at all possible. Is there a retrofit carb to a 56 manifold that would allow me to reuse the air cleaner? THX

Yes this is done all the time. To replace with a later Holley ex. 4150 or similar also requires a 1957 distributor for the proper vacuum signal.

If you are having problems with the stock carb, have it rebuilt by a professional who knows these carbs. They are a good carb and work great if properly rebuilt. Two people who rebuilds these carbs (and specializes in them) are Sal Cicala and David Arey.

An adaper is needed to use a later carb on a 55/56 manifold. Jegs, Speedway and Summitt sell these. As mentioned above, the 56 distributor will not work right with a later carb.

Staying original almost always is the best course of action when possible.
I've rebuilt a ton of Corvette and Chevelle original carbs and you avoid issues with hood clearance, fuel line routing, linkage configurations, intake mis-matches, and then maybe winding up with a sub-optimal non factory setup after all of that.

An additional 'thank you' to those who responded. I was considering a carb change for my '56, as well. I believe I will just rebuild the teapot. Out of curiosity, would the distributor change be necessary with an electronic ignition conversion?

An additional 'thank you' to those who responded. I was considering a carb change for my '56, as well. I believe I will just rebuild the teapot. Out of curiosity, would the distributor change be necessary with an electronic ignition conversion?
The need for a change of distributor is for the vacuum signl from the carburetor for the vacuum advance and in the case of a 1956 retarding of the distributor timing. It does not have an effect on the electrical components

Back