Broken bell housing 1964

N
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey all. I’m assuming the bell housing shouldn’t have this hole. Is there any way to patch it? The car has not run in 20 yrs and I am trying to get it going. Sometimes I see sparks come out of it. Typically when I get on and off of the starter quick.

I just need to get it started
63929313-D6D2-4A0F-80C1-90C6617C99C2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I inserted your photo as a full-sized image using this method-

Not good! Once you get it running you will need to replace that. All of the torque your engine puts out gets held by the bell housing. Patching is not recommended. They are not real hard to find.

Ok. Is this a common issue? I’m trying to figure out how someone could have broken that.

Not common in my experience. I would like to see photos from the inside.

maybe someone had trouble with the starter and 'made' an inspection hole!! Or the starter or previous starter had something come off it to punch that hole through?

Idk. But either way I can get it started and running and going around the house without changing it for right now?

Yes you can! Just not a good idea to leave it as is permanently.

Other than appearance I don't see any problem with it. Older cars had much bigger holes in their bell housings when they had air cooled automatic transmissions. Certainly if there was some other reason to be pulling the engine or trans it would be nice to replace but until then just put some metal duct tape over it.

@jimntempe , the hole itself I am not so concerned with, but since it was broken out that leaves a large possibility of unseen cracking. And being a heavy car with a lot of torque leaving it alone doesn't seem like a good idea.

Back