Bird flys low

Skip
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
hey guys I have a question.. I finally got my motor rebuilt and back in Marilyn she was running quite well had lots of power and then she dies and had to push her back into the drive ...We found out that w did indeed need to replace the fuel tank and sensing unit .. it was over half full of crud .. my brother the mechanic told me I didn’t need to replace it but any way .. I replaced them both and now Marilyn won’t go over 25 miles per hour transmission won’t shift or nothing... help I’m at my wits end trying to get this figured out

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Check the vacuum modulator if it isn't getting a vacuum, no shift, and they do go bad, easy enought to check. Also look to see the kick down linkage isn't jammed or stuck in the downshift position. I just changed all my gas lines and sending unit and tank on my 66 so I feel your pain.

Check the vacuum modulator if it isn't getting a vacuum, no shift, and they do go bad, easy enought to check. Also look to see the kick down linkage isn't jammed or stuck in the downshift position. I just changed all my gas lines and sending unit and tank on my 66 so I feel your pain.

Thank you Sir I will do that as soon as it warms up a bit

I had a condensor for the points go bad and it would not run over 25 miles per hour. Sounds weird but it happened to me. changed the condensor and it ran perfectly.

I re-read you 1st post. It was running good up until you changed the tank and sending unit . Did the new tank have a vent line and a new gas cap. Are they venting properly? Also did you change the fuel filter as you did say the tank was half full of crud. It sounds like something you did created the problem. Go back and recheck the work you did and see if something isn't right. Just a thought.

I re-read you 1st post. It was running good up until you changed the tank and sending unit . Did the new tank have a vent line and a new gas cap. Are they venting properly? Also did you change the fuel filter as you did say the tank was half full of crud. It sounds like something you did created the problem. Go back and recheck the work you did and see if something isn't right. Just a thought.
The original carburetor was in horrible condition and there was a torn gasket allowing a vacuum leak, I changed the carburetor to a new edelbrock 650 and it is running much better, as the engine was seized I had used a lot of marvel mystery in the engine block to free it up, and have changed the oil at least 3 times to date, it is slowly getting better. I think a few more times running while pushing the throttle a few times to help finish freeing up any sticking rings.

The original carburetor was in horrible condition and there was a torn gasket allowing a vacuum leak, I changed the carburetor to a new edelbrock 650 and it is running much better, as the engine was seized I had used a lot of marvel mystery in the engine block to free it up, and have changed the oil at least 3 times to date, it is slowly getting better. I think a few more times running while pushing the throttle a few times to help finish freeing up any sticking rings.
Sorry miss read the post, I had a similar problem with my 66 tbird 390 fe engine

I did go back and check and seems all is correct.. no there is no other vent it was exactly the same as the original tank and I didn’t see any reason to replace the gas cap sense it’s not like the new ones

hey guys I have a question.. I finally got my motor rebuilt and back in Marilyn she was running quite well had lots of power and then she dies and had to push her back into the drive ...We found out that w did indeed need to replace the fuel tank and sensing unit .. it was over half full of crud .. my brother the mechanic told me I didn’t need to replace it but any way .. I replaced them both and now Marilyn won’t go over 25 miles per hour transmission won’t shift or nothing... help I’m at my wits end trying to get this figured out
Did you clean the fuel lines out all the way to the carb and clean the carb out? Could be some crap in the fuel line

Back