Battery discharging on 64 landau t bird

Wide glider

Wide glider

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi i have a 64 landau and having problems with new batteries discharging below 6 volts and will not hold a charge. Could this be a ground problem or other problems with car. After I put new battery in and let it set for a few weeks it goes bad. I have a terminal knob on positive post which I turn off as well. I have taken one nappa battery back and the new one has done the same thing. Thanks for any help on this

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi i have a 64 landau and having problems with new batteries discharging below 6 volts and will not hold a charge. Could this be a ground problem or other problems with car. After I put new battery in and let it set for a few weeks it goes bad. I have a terminal knob on positive post which I turn off as well. I have taken one nappa battery back and the new one has done the same thing. Thanks for any help on this

To have a battery discharge, it has to have current flow.
You say you have a "terminal knob" on the positive post. It sounds like a disconnect, or switch, which is good, but you need to make sure it actually does disconnect the current flow from the positive post. Your ground must be good, if the battery is discharging.
Cheers

All my battery disconnect switches for cars (with or without a maint. trickle charge on the battery) are on the Negative terminal for negative ground cars. Not sure if it makes a difference but that's what I was taught 50 years ago. Also a one amp or less trickle charger can't hurt.

All my battery disconnect switches for cars (with or without a maint. trickle charge on the battery) are on the Negative terminal for negative ground cars. Not sure if it makes a difference but that's what I was taught 50 years ago. Also a one amp or less trickle charger can't hurt.

I agree, disconnect should be on the ground side. (I'm old too)!

How about putting an ammeter in line between the positive terminal post and the positive clamp to confirm that there is something drawing current out of the battery when the car is not runnning. Process of elimination to find the culprit and fix the issue. Then, no battery disconnect needed. If on other hand, there is no current flow out of the battery, there's either something amiss with the battery itself or it's not receiving an adequately charge when the car is running.

Back