At a cross road with my 1969 Tbird. Any advice?

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So yeah... 5 months of hard work and about 6k in parts/labor and my 1969 Thunderbird which I had to trailer home due to a myriad of mechanical problems due slipping transmission, brakes, suspension, exhaust etc... is now a car I can safely drive. Though now I am at a cross road. Down one path is an engine rebuild and some body work and rust/rot restoration. The other is attempt to sell the car and maybe find something else in the hopes of finding something with a cleaner body... but then there is the problem of mechanical. What do you guys think? Suggestions? Maybe some advice?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

So yeah... 5 months of hard work and about 6k in parts/labor and my 1969 Thunderbird which I had to trailer home due to a myriad of mechanical problems due slipping transmission, brakes, suspension, exhaust etc... is now a car I can safely drive. Though now I am at a cross road. Down one path is an engine rebuild and some body work and rust/rot restoration. The other is attempt to sell the car and maybe find something else in the hopes of finding something with a cleaner body... but then there is the problem of mechanical. What do you guys think? Suggestions? Maybe some advice?

Hey there OneAmongOthers,
Doesn't look like there are any responses but I'll give you my opinion. If you intend to keep this car long term for personal enjoyment and you like it, fix it up. If you intend to sell it think carefully before you invest any more money. Know what the market value will be when you put the money in. If the market value is less than what you put into it, then you will be losing money. If the market value is more, you are in good shape. On top of that, you need to find a buyer willing to pay your price, and that may be difficult. If your car is unique and has rare options, it could bump up the price if restored properly, if not it's just a regular 1969 of which lots were produced.
Model years after 1966 don't pull a lot of money based on my poking around the sales sites for the past couple of years. Even the 1961-1966 models don't sell that quickly, some linger for sale for months. Partly because the seller is asking too much, and there is no demand.
Lastly, parts for post 1966 may be hard to find and not cheap, especially interior and trim parts.
Sometimes we buy on impulse, not thinking about the long term, this is a common mistake. Think of the reasons you bought it in the first place, and make the right decisions going forward.
First decision point is do you intend keep it long term for personal enjoyment, or do you intend to sell in a shorter term? Go from there.
Regards, G

Hey thanks for the advice. I really have some thinking to do over the next month or so. I am going to take her out for estimates at least on the body work. I have been looking around and I wholly agree with you on the price point. Trying to figure out where I want to go now.

Back