Anyone have problems with rear wheel bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S
Last seen
I have a noise on one side of the rear end, looks like it coming from the bearing right at the rear wheel. Has anyone here had that problem and do you know how hard it is to change it out?

Thanks

SCJ:

Use the search page to search for "Wheel bearings"

Please read all of the links above and their content and you may get your answer.
By the way, using the seach function can almost answer any question you have, since some of us have been here for 10 years +.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2004 had both replaced at 48000 miles at a cost of $550 at local shop. Wheel bearings should last much longer than that.

Also check the sway bars and lateral link bars as the balls joints in those wear out very quickly, every TBird I have seen them on have been totally shot. If you go on to the ford web site for parts, enter your vin you can look at a schematic of the parts.

I have a 2003 with a rear left wheel bearing going out. The dealer only sells a complete wheel assembly for $1200. I bought the wheel bearing on line for $44. There's no ring clip or seal with it. I think it will just need to be pressed into the hub. Does anyone have any experience with this that you could share?

Well, Hey;
George posted some links to the rear wheel bearing replacement, which have gone away. He also said one might scroll to Reply #13 but the last post in this thread is @6.
The 2003 I just bought had developed a growl by the time I got it home. I got it into the local Ford Dealership today and their report says the noise is mostly from the left rear wheel bearing, though the right side is beginning to make some noise as well. Their quote for the fix is $1660, though when I checked out I had not read the quote and thought only one bearing needed replacement. Their idea is to replace the bearing and carrier but for that sort of money I would like to look into whether I might do it myself. The replies to the O.P. look as though several folks have gone through this. Anyone actually do the work, or does Ford have a corner on the market?
Fred

Just had rear bearings replaced(63,000)miles on my 2002 TB. They were so worn that they destroyed the rear tires, one of which had the steel belt visible(but not to the knuckleheads who had rotated the tires 400 miles ago at a different garage!).
The car actually went in because it refused to start, so now I have a new(second)fuel pump,etc.
Happy I didn't die driving it.

Just had rear bearings replaced(63,000)miles on my 2002 TB. They were so worn that they destroyed the rear tires, one of which had the steel belt visible(but not to the knuckleheads who had rotated the tires 400 miles ago at a different garage!).
The car actually went in because it refused to start, so now I have a new(second)fuel pump,etc.
Happy I didn't die driving it.
This thread dates back to 2012. Is it perhaps time to share some more up to date lessons about the bearings?

Klaw, I am glad you got it to someone who had the sense to take action before it resulted in disaster. I learned yesterday a tiny layer of ice makes the car pretty crazy. A blowout at speed could be very unpleasant!
Fred

I had the same issues years ago and suggest to just replace the hub! It’s way easier and I even went the cheaper way, Found a hub off a 04 Lincoln LS in the junkyard, purchased it for $35.00. Replaced it myself with help from the internet. Three years later and it has no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back