Any advice on whether to consider buying a 66?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F
Last seen
BRAND NEW to forum....

I'm 75% complete on my most recent project, but I'm not sure the car is going to be one that I want to 'keep' for several reasons.

I have ALWAYS liked the 64-66 T-bird range since I was a boy. I'm locked into the 66, and since this is going to be a weekend cruiser for wife and I, I'm considering a 66 Thunderbird Convertible.

I'm 52 and I want something we can have fun with, and I think I'm just aging out of the muscle car thing. Plus I think she'd enjoy it more if we had a nice cruiser for little weekend trips, going to baseball games, etc.

I'm 'Ford Partial', but I have to admit that I wonder if something like a 65-66 Impala Convertible or late 60s/early 70s GM B body convertible would be easier.:confused: I just think the bird has such good lines to it, that it just keeps drawing me back.

I have 'concerns' about reliability, parts availability, and overall serviceability on the bird. Honestly, I've looked at a few Ford Schematics on 'systems' in the car, looked at some 'original parts' on the auction site just to get a feel, and the parts look extremely 'engineered' and complicated compared to most previous projects. Obviously a Thunderbird simply has a lot more on it than a Mustang or similar car, therefore (to my simplistic way of thinking) there is a lot more to 'give trouble'. I do my own work, so I have to consider these things.:eek:

Does anyone have comments or thoughts on a 66 convertible? It'll be several months before I'm in the hard market as I've got to finish what I'm working on now as I'm not having two toys at one time. Feel free to contact me directly if that is easier.

Sorry for being 'wordy', but I wanted to give a fair representation of what I was looking for. Thank you.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

my experience with the 63 is that it's easy to get most parts, and the car is basically very simple and reliable once it's restored.

but,.. if the convertible is the electro hydraulic variety, be prepared to spend a lot of time and money to get that right. It's a complex beast and requires a lot of care and feeding.

Flye:
Since you are new to the forum, Welcome!! Now please allow me to voice an opinion. I've had antiques and 50's cars. When Ford announced the "New Thunderbird", I sold my '41 woodie wagon and '56 TBird. Why?
I wanted a cruiser, no more roadside issues, warranty, something to drive and not put money into....etc. etc.
It depends upon your age. I guess when I hit my late '60's I just got tired of doing work on cars and wanted to just drive and have fun. And that's what I am doing.
Click on the 2002-2005 forum. There are New Birds available for probably what you would spend on a '66 and then whatever you invest in it. Just consider that before you lay out money for the older one. Just an opinion...

Bought my '66 in the USA, like you I knew very little about them, had it shipped to New Zealand and got it roadworthy.

I'm 55 years old and if I can do it with parts etec that far away then most people in the US should be able to sort their car out what with advice and parts being so available.

Since getting my '66 on the road I have had no issues, o.k. I still have small things to do like new trunk mats/floor mats, decals for the engine-bay etc but I drive it and enjoy it, very smooth and comfortable, done 1,000s of miles in it.:cool:

I've had convertible Thunderbirds all my life, but then I'm a sucker for pain, like chinese bamboo torture, water boarding, marriage, etc. etc. If you're a diy kind a guy, time, patience, and a lot of study will be necessary. Also, from what I've seen of this forum, you should be able to get any advise and information you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back