Aftermarket wheels for 1964 Tbird??

ak7an
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am looking to replace the wire spoke wheels that are currently on my 1964.. It has been converted to front disc brakes so any wheel that says fits a 64 will not fit on the front. I really like the American Racing Torq Thrust II, but I have been told that no wheels in this style will fit because of the size of the calipers. Just thought I would ask what current owners of these cars are doing for aftermarket wheels?

Thanks
Ed

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Do the current wire wheels you have fit ok? If they're the factory Kelsey-Hayes wires then here's the data:
1964 15x5.5 stock rims (which are used with drum brakes):
Diameter = 15" (381.0 mm) at tire bead
Width = 5-1/2" (139.7 mm) at tire bead
Overall Diameter = 16 7/8" (406.4 mm) at tire mounting flanges
Overall Width = 6-1/2" (169.9 mm) at tire mounting flanges NOTE: THIS IS NOT TRUE of the K-H wires; they were wider but I don't have the #.
Backspacing = 3-7/8" (98.425 mm)*
Offset = 5/8" (15.875 mm)
Bolt circle/pattern = 4-1/2" (114.3 mm)
Clear inside diameter = 13-3/16" (334.96 mm)
Center hub diameter = 2-7/16" (61.9125 mm)
So if you have factory wheels, anything matching these numbers should fit. Note that overall width on the K-H isn't an issue unless you're using fender skirts in the rear. If you have aftermarkets - all bets are off, you're going to have to look them up. Who sold you the conversion kit? If you got the Scarebird kit they're great at helping with your choices.

The wire spokes fit just fine. These wheels were on the car when I purchased it. The skirts fit just fine too. I never dreamed finding a nice aftermarket wheel would be so difficult. Would it be easier to redo the rotors and calipers to something more compact in size?
Thanks
Ed

The wire spokes fit just fine. These wheels were on the car when I purchased it. The skirts fit just fine too. I never dreamed finding a nice aftermarket wheel would be so difficult. Would it be easier to redo the rotors and calipers to something more compact in size?
Thanks
Ed
If you have factory disc brakes this should be quite doable. If you are looking for steel wheels then a wheel that was manufactured for cars with disc brakes will likely fit. I have Granada brakes on my 1957 Ranch Wagon . I have wheels from a Granada. There is perhaps another alternative. I have a disc brake conversion on my 1957 Thunderbird. I am using the original steel wheels. I use an aftermarket wheel spacer to clear the calipers. I do not remeber what year Ford changed their wheels to accommodate disc brakes As I said I Have Granada wheels on my wagon. the later possibly 60s wheels and the 70s wheels are different from the 65 or so factory wheels to fit cars when disc brakes became the norm. I haven't thought about it but the Mustang style steel wheels my also fit with disc brakes. As a third alternative go with 15" wheels. They should clear the calipers. I have Granad brakes on my 65 Ranhero. I did have to slightly grind off the caliper surfaces to clear the vintage jelly bean aftermaret wheels. If you even go big, like bigger that 15" there should be no problem in clearance. Try going to a shop that specializes in aftermarket wheels. They should be able to remove a front wheel and test fit the wheels of your choice before you buy them.
good luck, J.

If you have factory disc brakes this should be quite doable. If you are looking for steel wheels then a wheel that was manufactured for cars with disc brakes will likely fit. I have Granada brakes on my 1957 Ranch Wagon . I have wheels from a Granada. There is perhaps another alternative. I have a disc brake conversion on my 1957 Thunderbird. I am using the original steel wheels. I use an aftermarket wheel spacer to clear the calipers. I do not remeber what year Ford changed their wheels to accommodate disc brakes As I said I Have Granada wheels on my wagon. the later possibly 60s wheels and the 70s wheels are different from the 65 or so factory wheels to fit cars when disc brakes became the norm. I haven't thought about it but the Mustang style steel wheels my also fit with disc brakes. As a third alternative go with 15" wheels. They should clear the calipers. I have Granad brakes on my 65 Ranhero. I did have to slightly grind off the caliper surfaces to clear the vintage jelly bean aftermaret wheels. If you even go big, like bigger that 15" there should be no problem in clearance. Try going to a shop that specializes in aftermarket wheels. They should be able to remove a front wheel and test fit the wheels of your choice before you buy them.
good luck, J.

Thanks for the info.. When you say Granada I am thinking of the Ford Granada. I was planning on saying with a 15"wheel. I don't know of anyone in my area that keeps that many wheels in stock to try some on, most say we can order them. I am nearly 100% sure that my 64 has disc brakes off of a 65 or 66, has the huge calipers. I went to my local Big O Tire and the rep was on the phone with American Racing for 30 or so minutes. The American Racing rep stated that the only wheel they had that would fit my car was a VN 515 in 17". Not the style I was looking for and over $300 per wheel. Cragar website show that the SS in a 17" wheel would fit a 65 or 66. So I am back to square one. Who has done this?
Thanks
Ed

Ford first started packaging disc brakes on Thunderbirds in 1965 (also Falcons and Fairlanes. Full sized Ford's and Mercury's in 1966.)

Do the current wire wheels you have fit ok? If they're the factory Kelsey-Hayes wires then here's the data:
1964 15x5.5 stock rims (which are used with drum brakes):
Diameter = 15" (381.0 mm) at tire bead
Width = 5-1/2" (139.7 mm) at tire bead
Overall Diameter = 16 7/8" (406.4 mm) at tire mounting flanges
Overall Width = 6-1/2" (169.9 mm) at tire mounting flanges NOTE: THIS IS NOT TRUE of the K-H wires; they were wider but I don't have the #.
Backspacing = 3-7/8" (98.425 mm)*
Offset = 5/8" (15.875 mm)
Bolt circle/pattern = 4-1/2" (114.3 mm)
Clear inside diameter = 13-3/16" (334.96 mm)
Center hub diameter = 2-7/16" (61.9125 mm)
So if you have factory wheels, anything matching these numbers should fit. Note that overall width on the K-H isn't an issue unless you're using fender skirts in the rear. If you have aftermarkets - all bets are off, you're going to have to look them up. Who sold you the conversion kit? If you got the Scarebird kit they're great at helping with your choices.

Just a question on that offset.. is that positive or negative?
Thanks

Hi Ed,
Interesting...If its worth the insight, have 15inch disc conversions on my 62. I am running the 15 inch 1964 spinner hubcaps. If you want to stay 'thunderbird' ,
there are potentially any of the post 1964 15inch steel wheel and hubcap combos. BTW, I also have 15 inch wires. But I am a wheel and hubcap man (wires the exception).

62 (Large).jpg

NJ is The Land Of Potholes, and I have lost far too many at far too great a cost. In many places (Jersey City's covered roadway coming out of the Holland Tunnel leaps to mind) not only will the potholes jar your teeth through your upper palate but trying to stop to find the missing silver dish is a death sentence - actually, for most of the ride - not even possible.
I took off the caps in my profile picture in favor of a set of original Kelsey-Hayes wires (had to buy new spinners, though, and they worry me).

Hi Ed,
Interesting...If its worth the insight, have 15inch disc conversions on my 62. I am running the 15 inch 1964 spinner hubcaps. If you want to stay 'thunderbird' ,
there are potentially any of the post 1964 15inch steel wheel and hubcap combos. BTW, I also have 15 inch wires. But I am a wheel and hubcap man (wires the exception).

View attachment 10500

Thanks Dave, that sure is a beautiful car. I am not much for hubcaps, and I do like the look of the wire wheels. Cleaning and maintenance of those is kind of a pain.

More info on my wire wheels, they were purchased from Larry's Tbird, so I reached out to them for the specs and have not heard back. If anyone knows the specs for these wheels please post.

I think I will order this wheel from Amazon to see if it fits. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004070OYG/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20
I can order just one and if it doesn't fit I can return it.

Danny, I thought Utah roads were bad. Sounds like we have great roads compared to NJ..
Thanks to all
Ed
wheel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking to replace the wire spoke wheels that are currently on my 1964.. It has been converted to front disc brakes so any wheel that says fits a 64 will not fit on the front. I really like the American Racing Torq Thrust II, but I have been told that no wheels in this style will fit because of the size of the calipers. Just thought I would ask what current owners of these cars are doing for aftermarket wheels?

Thanks
Ed
Did you post spoke wheels and tires for sale for a 66. For 1300 ? If so I will buy them. Thanks , kevin

Back