aftermarket seats for 2002-2005 model years for tall guy

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
N
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
I went to look at a 2002 Thunderbird today and was immediately in love with the car until sitting in it with the softtop up. The seller suggested asking the forum if anyone had retrofitted a 2002-2005 model with an aftermarket seat that allows tall guys (I am 6'6") one to two inches in height to depth. So, has anyone done such a thing? I love the car, but right now it will not work for me without more room. Thanks to anyone who can advise me!

I went to look at a 2002 Thunderbird today and was immediately in love with the car until sitting in it with the softtop up. The seller suggested asking the forum if anyone had retrofitted a 2002-2005 model with an aftermarket seat that allows tall guys (I am 6'6") one to two inches in height to depth. So, has anyone done such a thing? I love the car, but right now it will not work for me without more room. Thanks to anyone who can advise me!
Sorry, never heard of this. I am 6'1" and am very comfortable in the car. Try moving the power seat for more room. I have to point out my favorite time is with the top down. Then you would fit.

I'm 6'2", and I fit in my 2004 PCR, comfortable, but just...
I don't slide the seat all the way back, but stop a few inches before the rear deck. I recline the seat back until it touches the rear deck, and also lower the bottom seat adjustment. It works, and I'm pretty good in there. That said, another couple of inches would be nice
Cannot imagine how a 6'6" guy can fit into our cars, even with the top down, but if you ind a solution, I'd love to hear what you've come across
Good luck, hope you figure it out because you will truly love the car!

Driving my 04 with the top down is the ONLY time I'm glad I'm 5'11" instead of 6'5". I really think you're out of luck, your head musty stick up enough to still catch the wind. The only way you could fit would be to move the seat FORWARD so you could slant the seatback farther, but your knees would probably end up around the sides of the steering wheel. I checked to see if there was a way to modify the area behind the seat, but there's a hard stop where the surround for the convertible top sits in the well.

Sorry, never heard of this. I am 6'1" and am very comfortable in the car. Try moving the power seat for more room. I have to point out my favorite time is with the top down. Then you would fit.
i WAS NOT HAPPY with the seat in my 2004, SO, off I went to J&J Automotive in Philly,Pa.Tel# 215-676-1000.. New seat, New Colors & Made to fit my Large Frame +6 ft..

Attachments

• IMG_1311.JPG
    IMG_1311.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 4
For your info, Whitewall, Pin stripped, Engine MOD , and I am a Happy Camper.

Attachments

• scan0002.pdf
    189.5 KB · Views: 3
Great rich-looking seats. How they should have come from the factory. What was the cost?

i WAS NOT HAPPY with the seat in my 2004, SO, off I went to J&J Automotive in Philly,Pa.Tel# 215-676-1000.. New seat, New Colors & Made to fit my Large Frame +6 ft..
Sir, thank you. So, much room do you think the new seat bought you regarding height and depth?

@nucleate Found your solution! On BringATrailer.com, there is a 2007 Jaguar XK convertible with 2 rear seats. One of the commenters says he is 6' 7" and loves his car. The car currently has a $13250 bid, and the auction ends in 2 days. It is one beautiful, sexy car. You can see the design similarities to our Tbirds in the interior, but it is far more posh/luxe than a Ford. If I could convince my wife, I'd bid on it and sell my '04 Bird in a heartbeat. I love my Bird, but I lust for the Jag. The only drawback is that there is no hardtop, but you were never going to fit in a retro-Bird with hardtop on anyways. 300HP, 2 rear seats (better for groceries, not humans, and NO ONE'S sitting behind you, anyways), Jaguar nameplate, what's not to love? Ford owned Jaguar until 2008. Oops! The bid just went up to $13.5K. These cars, like our Tbirds, are at the low-end of their depreciation, and are starting back up. Better jump in now!

Last edited:
Back