Aftermarket Radio Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface Ford Thunderbird 2002 2003 2004 2005

biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
If you want your steering wheel controls to work in your compatible aftermarket double din radio, you will need to purchase a steering wheel interface. The most popular is the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface. You can purchase online at Amazon here- https://amzn.to/3cdWADF (Using this link also helps support the forum at no extra cost to you)!

41HYgT8b+iL._AC_.jpg

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Last edited:
I can tell folks that ASWC-1 adapter doesn't work well with my expensive Kenwood radio, it seems to lose its programming quite often and requires reconfiguration using the steering wheel controls and then only works for a short time again.. It appears the adapter goes from the Kenwood configuration to a JVC configuration inexplicably every so often,
Capture.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell folks that ASWC-1 adapter doesn't work well with my expensive Kenwood radio, it seems to lose its programming quite often and requires reconfiguration using the steering wheel controls and then only works for a short time again.. It appears the adapter goes from the Kenwood configuration to a JVC configuration inexplicably every so often,
View attachment 18432
Have you tried updating the firmware? On a side note, the AAMP PAC SWI-CP2 is definitely newer than the Metra ASWC-1 !

I have updated the firmware, actually, no help there at all. on the recommendation of Crutchfield (where I purchased the radio, steering control adapter and custom harness). The AAMP PAC SWI-CP2 you mention above is what I would choose if doing this install today.

The iDatalink Maestro SW works well!

I modified the aftermarket harness to include pin 18 so I did not have to tap the factory harness

Back