A/C clutch won't engage

91-TBird3.8

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The A/C clutch in my 91 TBird 3.8v6 won't engage. If someone could please help with this I would greatly appreciate it Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

What have you tried so far. Usually caused by low coolant. You can get the clutch to engage by pulling off the electrical connector on the large aluminum dryer which is on the passenger side. Take about 6 inches of #10 gauge wire and strip both ends and jumper the two connectors at the end of the wire plug connector you removed by sticking each end of he 6 inch pice in the two female slots in it. Start the engine, turn AC on High Recycle Air. The jumper will energize the clutch on the compressor if all goes well. Then you can add freon and after you get it charged with at least a can, you can stop the engine, pull the jumper off, reconnect the plug and start the engine again and put the ac on High Recycled setting and the clutch should start cycling on it's own and allow you to complete the addition of more freon until it's full. The more charged it gets, the longer the cycling intervals

If the jumper does not allow you to run the clutch, then you have a different problem, more than likely a bad compressor clutch or worse.

Good luck

I have a 2002 Ford Thunderbird cont. with dual climate control. The AC compressor will not engage. I have jumped the relay at pin 5 to engage the clutch and the pressure readings are fine and the car cools. However, according to the control head self diagnosis, I have a code 1947. evaporator air discharge sensor. Has anybody run into this before. The dealership says the sensor in in the case; but the book has the sensor at right side center rear above the vent from the center to the passenger's floor. I believe the diagram for location and repair values are askew.

Back