8 volt battery in 1955?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
zeroroadkill

zeroroadkill

BlackBird Fly
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Can't seem to find out any info on using an 8-volt battery in a '55.
Will it charge?
Will it burn anything out, switches, solenoids, motors (windows and seat) etc...

Please advise.

Thanks
Bob

Can't seem to find out any info on using an 8-volt battery in a '55.
Will it charge?
Will it burn anything out, switches, solenoids, motors (windows and seat) etc...

Please advise.

Thanks
Bob

Hello Chris. Yes, an 8 volt battery will work. The regulator will need to be adjusted to increase the charging rate to 8 volts. An 8 volt may shorten bulbs lifetime a little but no big deal. I used to have an 8 volt in mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, it might help spin the starter a bit faster! Haven't looked at rebuilding the starter yet tho...

Thanks, it might help spin the starter a bit faster! Haven't looked at rebuilding the starter yet tho...
As to the starter; make sure all your grounds are clean and good. the same with the "hot" side from battery.

I converted my 55 to a 12 volt system with a 12V battery which is not difficult and pretty commom and used a 12V starter. I have a never used rebuilt12V starter if you or anyone else needs one

I converted my 55 to a 12 volt system with a 12V battery which is not difficult and pretty commom and used a 12V starter. I have a never used rebuilt12V starter if you or anyone else needs one

When I was a kid we would convert Ford 6 volts systems to 12 volt systems by changing the generator, regulator and bulbs and leave the 6 volt starter, worked fine just spun the engine very fast. I can't ever remember having a problem with that arrangement.

I owned a '55 for 40 years...always used a 6 volt battery...no problems...fits the battery tray and the hold down frame. When first purchased thought about an 8 volt battery...spoke to an old time mechanic...he said "those cars were built to run on 6 volts..if you are having trouble...something other than the battery is wrong "...fixed what was wrong and it ran fine for 40 years.

One point in using 6 volts; The battery cables need to be adequate. Don't just grab off the shelf cables for 12 volt systems, too much resistance.

8 volt bttery is a band aid for something that is wrong. Fix what is wrong - bad starter, wrong cables, bad connections, tired engine

If you have a proper 6 volt system with proper size cables and good grounds (esp the body frame and engine grounds) a quality 6v battery should start your car with no issue. It WILL crank slow, that is normal. On a good day mine will start when the 3rd cyl come up. I have found that the 6V Optima batteries do have a high amp output and will crank for a long time

Back