71 led tail/brake lights

Usually turn signal and stop light bulbs have 2 filimants in them and it's a 1157 bulb. If it's a single filament bulb it's an 1156

Which LED bulbs can I use on my 71, without having to change out the sequencer?
No LED bulb will work with the factory sequencer or flasher can. The voltage is a lot lower than the original incandescent bulbs. The flasher can was specially designed for the sequencer and original bulbs used. They will either flash in sequence VERY quickly or not at all (usually just a flat all three blink no longer in sequence), as the voltage is different. In order to use LED blubs you need to change the flasher can behind your glovebox and sequencer in the trunk. (Thats how it is on my 69). And honestly it's not a hard upgrade. If you want to know about it I did the modern flasher/sequencer/plasma LED bulb upgrade. It's really nice and bright. Also used a lot less power and doesn't heat up like incandescent bulbs do.
Sequencer 2.jpgsequencer 3.jpgsequencer 4.jpgsequencer1.jpg

Which LED bulbs can I use on my 71, without having to change out the sequencer?
There are many LED bulbs that are not compatible with your sequential system.
Based on my research, you will need to use "Tower" LEDs (sold by superbrightleds.com), ballast resistors, and a LED flasher.
The red 1157-R18-T are nearly as bright as an 1157.
Ten LEDs are needed for the rear of your 1971 Thunderbird. Six are used for turn/brake lights, the other four are only used as running lights.

To use these LEDs with the original Ford sequencer in the trunk, 4 ballast resistors are required.
These resistors are connected in parallel with each of the outer two sequential turn bulbs.
I designed a resistor adapter kit that plugs into the original harness using OEM style connectors:

Finally, the turn signal flasher must be replaced with an LED compatible flasher, D0WY-13350-L.
This flasher will cycle with the lower LED current and has a longer "ON" time to allow all three lights to turn on distinctively.

The brightest solution for safety is to use the WCCC1157R "Plasma" LED bulbs. They are about twice as bright.
However, instead of a resistor kit, these LEDs require a C9WY-13A366-AL sequential controller for the trunk.

Vic

Last edited by a moderator:
Led bulbs do not draw enough amps for sequencer to work
The stock sequencer and flasher can was designed for incandescent bulbs. There is a conversion kit that replaces the original sequencer (in your trunk), and the flasher can (behind the glove box) which allows you to use led bulbs. Trust me I know this because I have that very system in my 69 tbird right now. Trying to get the original flasher can is almost impossible, and do not use new flasher cans sold from retailers as its not designed for the sequencer (your tail lights will just flash solid). Also the old sequencer is a circuit board. Not the mechanical system used in the 67 or 68 ( I think).

Are the same items items needed when replacing 1157 bulbs to LED for A 1966 Thunderbird taillights

1966 Thunderbird I took a chance and bought some 1157 3.8 watt LED bulbs tried then as rear running, turn, and brake lights seen to work ok no issues the center bulbs were 1156 did not exchange them also the center bulb socket fixtures had splits so I will look for replacement back-up and running 1157 and 1156 bulb sockets not sure how to replace center bulb sockets yet. Good to know LED bulbs working with no issues no resistor needed will replace front turn 1157 LED bulbs tomorrow.

1966 Thunderbird I took a chance and bought some 1157 3.8 watt LED bulbs tried then as rear running, turn, and brake lights seen to work ok no issues the center bulbs were 1156 did not exchange them also the center bulb socket fixtures had splits so I will look for replacement back-up and running 1157 and 1156 bulb sockets not sure how to replace center bulb sockets yet. Good to know LED bulbs working with no issues no resistor needed will replace front turn 1157 LED bulbs tomorrow.
Replacing with led bulbs with the factory flasher can and the old mechanical sequencer will NOT work correctly as the voltage is different. I don't think they will correctly blink in proper sequence

Are the same items items needed when replacing 1157 bulbs to LED for A 1966 Thunderbird taillights
The stock 1965-66 Thunderbird turn signal sequencer will work with LED bulbs.
However, the indicator relay, used to flash the fender lights, is calibrated for 1157 bulbs.
For the indicator lights to flash, this indicator relay must be replaced with the LED compatible part, C5SZ-13A366-CR.

Back