71 gauges not working

Okiebird

Okiebird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Only thing working on the dash is the Speedo. If all of the other gauges are all inoperable, does this sound like a major thing or not?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Only thing working on the dash is the Speedo. If all of the other gauges are all inoperable, does this sound like a major thing or not?
Hi There. Try this. I think it's under the hood toward the firewall but I'm not 100% sure...See what kind of terminals the existing one has since there seems to be some variation in the aftermarket ones,

All the gauges are independent of each other. Oil and fuel both have sensors. Oil sender is on the top of the back of the motor by the firewall. It's a bear to get off since the bolt to remove it is under the top of the sender. Fuel gauge sender is in the fuel tank. The clock... well up to you to get it fixed. Needs to be pulled out. Other side of the clock is Temperature and voltage. Voltage gauge is honestly moot as Ford put a resistance wire on it so it barely moves. Previously on older models the voltage gauge was directly connected to the alternator, and if you understand how an alternator actually works it would move quite a lot to reflect that. People got upset thinking there was something wrong, so they put a resistance wire in line to more or less even it out. Temperature sensor is on the front of the intake. Last one is just for windshield wipers and vent. Well that's if the vet was still and option on the 71. I am taking this off a 69 instrument panel. Not sure if the 71 is much different. In the end first you should check and verify if the senders are bad before pulling out the dash cluster.

Back