1966 tbird front coil spring replacing

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

This is pretty straight forward. Raise the car and put the front end on jack stands. Remove the trires and wheel. Remove the shock absorber and use a spring compressor to compress the spring. I use an electric impact gun to work this tool. once the spring is compressed, remove the nut from the top of the lower ball joint, and then use a pickle fork to separate the ball joint from the spindle. Once the ball joint is separated, push the lower A frame down and remove the spring. Replace the top spring insulator. Compress the new spring and put in place making sure that the bottom spring end fits in the detent in the lower A frame. put the ball joint back together and then uncompress the spring and remove the compressor. Reinstall the shock, tire and wheel and you are done with one side.

i have been told you need a very special compressor any one know what is the best one to use

Hi I've just done mine and used one of these which I got from Amazon and was also mentioned in a previous thread on here.
OEMTOOLS 27035 Coil Spring Compressor
Worked well as its a scary job as you need to compress the screen down to about 11" to remove and refit.
Tried a cheaper type but not worth the risk!!! Don't forget to note any spacers which they put on top of the springs.

Note: the instructions said NOT to use an impact tool as could cause damage to the threaded section - shame as would of saved the manual effort ;-)

THx for the reply, Parts stores rent a very inferior & inexpensive tool, which is very problematic when you are compressing the spring off the car for the reinstall. So, just not a option. Thx

Hi I've just done mine and used one of these which I got from Amazon and was also mentioned in a previous thread on here.
OEMTOOLS 27035 Coil Spring Compressor
Worked well as its a scary job as you need to compress the screen down to about 11" to remove and refit.
Tried a cheaper type but not worth the risk!!! Don't forget to note any spacers which they put on top of the springs.

Note: the instructions said NOT to use an impact tool as could cause damage to the threaded section - shame as would of saved the manual effort ;-)
Thx for the lead, unfortunately this is the tool which I have not much success with. As when the spring compresses down to about 14" the tool starts to go off center and the springs begins to bow, And it is at that point which the spring will kick out. This is why I'm looking for the MOOG tool as it pulls evenly across the spring and is much more controllable . Plus it has a longer reach so you can compress greater length of the spring which makes the install easier. I may just have to keep trying this OEM 27035 type you mentioned, but just not real comfortable using it. Thanks for the heads up, and I'm glad you succeeded getting your back in place. Gooday, DOUG

Back