66 bird w/ carb problems.

Spider

Spider

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
1966 bird, carb was rebuilt but still real hard to start after sitting 4 or 5 days. Takes 6 or 7 pumps, and blows "soot" all over the driveway. It has been worked on 2 or 3 times to no avail. Thinking a new carb would solve the problem. Holly or eddlebrock? What cfm? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks George

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am far from being a carburetor expert, but one thing I could never understand is the removal of the choke magnet. Seems everyone wants to remove it, first thing. Rebuild the carb, magnet is gone. The argument is that you can't shut the choke all the way. Why not? And didn't it come from the factory that way?

Motor cold. choke slightly open. Grind and grind and grind and grind to get the car started. Hold the choke shut, starts instantly. Once it starts the choke will open.

I had the same problem with mine, although it was bad in other ways -- warped. I now have an Edelbrock 600 cfm. Be sure to put a spacer under it; otherwise it gets hot and boils the gas in the bowl, and it's hard to start hot.

I 2nd the above, I just put the 600 cfm eldelbrock on mine starts right up no problems. There are 2 models one with electric choke and one with manual, I have the electric choke one, but if you prefer the manual I'm sure it is just as good. I haven't put the spacer back on mine but not driving it anywhere, but I will put it back.

I just had a friend send the carb. from his 64, 390 to a fellow in Jacksonville,Fl. Hes did a great job. It cost him $200.00 plus shipping. If you send me an e-mail I will get his address. My e-mail tlrickey@*********** Tom Rickey

1966 bird, carb was rebuilt but still real hard to start after sitting 4 or 5 days. Takes 6 or 7 pumps, and blows "soot" all over the driveway. It has been worked on 2 or 3 times to no avail. Thinking a new carb would solve the problem. Holly or eddlebrock? What cfm? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks George
Holley for sure and 600 - 650cfm square bore

Make sure the choke is adjusted right first. It should slap shut when you push the gas pedal to the floor the first time before you start it. If not unloosen 3 screws on the round plastic adjuster. Hold the throttle open and adjust the choke so it's shut all the way. Tighten the screws. It will run at a high idle until the choke warms up .Hit the throttle to take it off high idle and the choke should be wide open by then. The float in the Carb might be stuck not allowing gas into the carburetor. Take the fuel line off the Carb and turn over the engine .it should be squirting out of that fuel line pretty good. If not fuel filter or pump might be bad. See if it will start with a couple squirts of starting fluid if it isn't the choke. Pump the hell out of it if it starts with it and wants to stall. Someone replaced the engine in my 67 and put an electric fuel pump on it. Make sure that's not your situation also

Back