65 Thunderbird starter cranks with the key in the run position

Z
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello to all, a new member here. Recently acquired a 65 Thunderbird from the third family member who had had it passed down to him. He drove it for a while and then let it sit for many years. So its been a long time since this bird has had any love. I put a good battery into it and turned the key and got nothing. I checked the starter solenoid and it tested faulty so I replaced it. When I did replace it, I noticed that the previous owner had hooked up the S and I wires incorrectly. With the new solenoid in place and wired correctly I tried the key and it did crank the engine over. The problem is that it cranks it over as soon as you turn the key to the run position. At one point I had an assistant turn the key and it started to crank in the run position but then continued to crank even in the off position. So I pulled the negative terminal off the battery to stop it. I've ordered a new ignition switch but it won't be here for a while. Has anybody else had this problem before and was it the ignition switch, or something else? Sorry for the long rambling post, but wanted to give as many details as possible. This car deserves to be back on the road.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello to you
I think it’s not a problem from the ignition switch but from the starter

The starter cranks over fine. It just starts to crank prematurely. I thought that there was just the power cable going to it from the solenoid.

Incorrectly wired, shorted ignition switch, first thought, since the solenoid was wired wrong.
Good luck.

When I install the new ignition switch I'll confirm the the wires are in the correct location.

Back