65 thunderbird shift linkage

P
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all, I was just curious if anyone has any input on how to tighten up the shifter. Mine is very loose and you have to get it in just the right spot to get it into drive and reverse. Could it be a broken piece in the steering housing or the linkage just worn out over time. Any help is greatly appreciated

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Much has been written about this. Linkage on my '64 is loose also and I've taken the first easy step, which is to procure a new shift lever which I haven't installed yet. But there are other parts like the shift detante and various bushings in the steering column that may contribute to the issue. I'm sure you'll be hearing from others with school of hard knocks experience on this issue!

Upper and lower bushings go bad and crumble, shift lever will wear a groove in it. I’ve replaced levers and bushings but never had to change the detent plate. Sitting in the car with the wheel positioned in front of you try to move the wheel, does it have play up and down.

Hi all. I'm in the process of replacing the shift lever on my '64. The pin that holds the old shift lever onto the steering column is almost all the way out. Question: is it just a matter of removing the pin, pulling the old shift lever out of the steering column, inserting the new one and putting the pin back in? Should the shifter be in a particular position (like "Park") when making the swap? Thanks for any guidance on this, Doug

Back