65 brake booster vacuum issue

Bob611

Bob611

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So, my totally stock 65 driving down the highway and brake pedal is rock hard when trying to stop. Check the usual, hose (good), check valve seemed okay. Upon further inspection check valve seemed bad (air would pass either way). So I order new check valve, get it and install thinking problem solved, but no such luck. Start car up after it's warmed up I step on the pedal and sadly it is extremely hard to press, and when I do push pedal, the car starts to run rough (vacuum leak). Long story short, could it be something other than the brake booster needs to be replaced. Never had to replace one so not sure if I'm overlooking something.

Definitely sounds like the booster has failed.. I looked on Rock Auto and it looks like there only option right now is to send in your old one to be rebuilt.
Good Luck
Ed

The best one to rebuild is Booster Dewy in Oregon. He has done plenty of my work and is the best.

Definitely sounds like the booster has failed.. I looked on Rock Auto and it looks like there only option right now is to send in your old one to be rebuilt.
Good Luck
Ed
Thanks, Ed, appreciate the help.

The best one to rebuild is Booster Dewy in Oregon. He has done plenty of my work and is the best.
That's what I'm going to do. I'd like to keep the original not swapping a different one. Thanks.

So, my totally stock 65 driving down the highway and brake pedal is rock hard when trying to stop. Check the usual, hose (good), check valve seemed okay. Upon further inspection check valve seemed bad (air would pass either way). So I order new check valve, get it and install thinking problem solved, but no such luck. Start car up after it's warmed up I step on the pedal and sadly it is extremely hard to press, and when I do push pedal, the car starts to run rough (vacuum leak). Long story short, could it be something other than the brake booster needs to be replaced. Never had to replace one so not sure if I'm overlooking something.
I had the brake booster on my '63 rebuilt by Rock Auto, but I would suggest you check in the Dallas Texas area for repair shops. I found out that Rock Auto sent my booster to an outside shop in the Dallas area. It would be a lot quicker if you can find the company that did mine. Google, is probably the best way to find someone.
Good Luck
Buzzy

Thanks for the heads up.
I needed a flexible young man to remove and reinstall my booster as age has a way of making things difficult, but it is not that hard to remove and reinstall.
Buzzy

I just tried to start to remove early enough before it was up to 95 degrees, but like you said age definitely is a hindrance. Remember laying upside down under many dashboards. Not able to do that anymore.

Back