64 What does vacuum controlled switch on clock tower do?

S

stevetheweave1

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Removed clock to open center console area to replace vacuum lines. There is a chrome switch on left side of clock panel that has fittings but no vacuum hoses to be found? What is switch for? Do not have an owners manual and service manual has no info. Also having a bit of a problem removing lower center console top panel with cruise control and window switches, does radio have to come out for that panel removal? Please stay up on changing and cleaning your air filter (mask), it really hits home when a family member is hospitalized.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I don't think there is any vacuum lines on the left side of the clock. Those two switches are for the wipers and washers.

Removed clock to open center console area to replace vacuum lines. There is a chrome switch on left side of clock panel that has fittings but no vacuum hoses to be found? What is switch for? Do not have an owners manual and service manual has no info. Also having a bit of a problem removing lower center console top panel with cruise control and window switches, does radio have to come out for that panel removal? Please stay up on changing and cleaning your air filter (mask), it really hits home when a family member is hospitalized.
the radio face plate has to come off to get center console panel off. if i remember right, the 2 levers to left operate the wipers and windshield washer

I'd recommend that you buy the shop manual. You should be able to find one on eBay. The levers on the left side are wiper and washer controls that are vacuum operated. To start removing the radio/console facia pull the radio knobs off by pulling them straight towards you and remove the two chrone nuts. The rest is pretty much self explanatory.

Still do not know what switch does, it is not door lock like I thought, either way there are NO vacuum lines anywhere in the area to be found. I have manuals but do not have an owners manual. Thanks for input 57 Bird, this switch is on vertical panel to the left of 4 red dot lights and is a toggle switch with vacuum fittings and it is not one of the 4 sliders with cables. I had to take center console with window switches up from the rear not from the front as I was trying. In order for me to raise panel up from rear I had to take glove box and ashtray off center console. IMG_5413[1].JPGIMG_5414[1].JPGIMG_5414[1].JPG

The switch with the D on the knob IS for the vacuum operated door locks. Vacuum input line is the one marked in red. Our family had 2 birds of your vintage and I had that console down on more than once many decades ago. I believe the 3 warning lights were "low fuel" "emergency flasher" and the third I don't recall. I can't answer the question as to where the vacuum lines disappeared to.

I owned my grandmothers '60 continental ( the one with the angled headlights and electric reverse angle rear window). Ford at that time loved vacuum actuators. Heating, A/C, vent controls were all vacuum operated. It was an engineering marvel and a heavy road taming land yacht. Only problem when the vacuum hoses started to be hard and crack. Pulled the top off the dash a few times to diagnose. Even got worse in the early '70s with the mandated emission controls. I swear a guy who takes on the engineering challenges of these vacuum systems could have a job for life.

Thanks Critter I would not have been a very good detective. Switch I thought this was the door locks is more than likely window locks. doh
IMG_5415[1].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ward 57 loved the looks of that Continental, what a beast, the rear window on an angle went down and it had I believe suicide doors? I have a newer Continental now and we love to take road trips in it, extremely comfortable. Maybe someday I can give it to my grandson so he can put an ionic propulsion drivetrain in it!

The third red light, beside the toggle with the "D" on it, is the door ajar light. Someone has added a small black switch just above the "D" toggle switch. What is it for?

Ward 57 loved the looks of that Continental, what a beast, the rear window on an angle went down and it had I believe suicide doors? I have a newer Continental now and we love to take road trips in it, extremely comfortable. Maybe someday I can give it to my grandson so he can put an ionic propulsion drivetrain in it!
No, it didn't have suicide doors, Those were a few of years later. Why change the drive train? The old school stuff is a wonder and easy to work on. How many threads have you seen on here when people have tried to install new ignition systems and have nothing but trouble? There is nothing wrong with 'old school' and what a way to introduce your grand son to the classic hobby. My grandfather and my dad grew up in the logging industry in Montana, where big industrial machines were the norm. You can't replicate history, and trying to mesh the old with new causes more headaches than you could imagine unless you have VERY deep pockets.

The third red light, beside the toggle with the "D" on it, is the door ajar light. Someone has added a small black switch just above the "D" toggle switch. What is it for?
I think its for the courtesy lights below the clock, turns em on without opening the door

That little black sliding switch is to turn on the “map lights” that are next to wiper and vent levers.

The switch with the D on the knob IS for the vacuum operated door locks. Vacuum input line is the one marked in red. Our family had 2 birds of your vintage and I had that console down on more than once many decades ago. I believe the 3 warning lights were "low fuel" "emergency flasher" and the third I don't recall. I can't answer the question as to where the vacuum lines disappeared to.
Third is door light lens

Back