64 tbird starting problem shift lever kit

MickyD

MickyD

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have to pull up on my shift lever to start car. I know there is a kit to fix this problem but I can't remember the name of it.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have to pull up on my shift lever to start car. I know there is a kit to fix this problem but I can't remember the name of it.
the shift arm itself gets a notch worn into it and the shift detent plate gets worn out . you should replace both at the same time. any tbird parts supplier should have what you need

Was not sure of the part name. Thank you

Have you tried to adjust the neutral safety switch itself yet?

I thought I put a new one in back in 2006 but can't remember. Rebuilt engine in 2006 and have only put 700 miles on it since. Once these brakes are done I want to drive it as much as I can. I am not sure it it has been adjusted or not. I will check my manual and see what I can or can't do.

Sorry MickyD, I am on the road and don't have my bird here. It's going to be a couple of weeks before I get home. Some of the switches have slotted mounting holes.

I will try and figure it out and if I don't I will let you know. Stay safe out there on the road and have a blessed day.

Back