64 tbird starting problem shift lever kit

MickyD

MickyD

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have to pull up on my shift lever to start car. I know there is a kit to fix this problem but I can't remember the name of it.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have to pull up on my shift lever to start car. I know there is a kit to fix this problem but I can't remember the name of it.
the shift arm itself gets a notch worn into it and the shift detent plate gets worn out . you should replace both at the same time. any tbird parts supplier should have what you need

Have you tried to adjust the neutral safety switch itself yet?

I thought I put a new one in back in 2006 but can't remember. Rebuilt engine in 2006 and have only put 700 miles on it since. Once these brakes are done I want to drive it as much as I can. I am not sure it it has been adjusted or not. I will check my manual and see what I can or can't do.

Sorry MickyD, I am on the road and don't have my bird here. It's going to be a couple of weeks before I get home. Some of the switches have slotted mounting holes.

I will try and figure it out and if I don't I will let you know. Stay safe out there on the road and have a blessed day.

Back