64 Tail light sockets repair

IndyTbird

IndyTbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need to rework the tail light sockets on the 64 Bird. They seem to be rotted away and do not hold the bulbs very secure. Has anyone dealt with this, what's would be best course of action, replace the sockets individually or the tail light assembly completely?

Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Added model year to the subject of your post.
model-year.jpg

When I first got my car, one of the first things I needed to do was fix the taillights. Someone told me about sockets available from NAPA; I was given a part number, but certainly don't recall it. If I recall, each socket has wires for the bulbs and another for ground. Put a lug on the ground wires and bolt them to the housing. From there, I guess it's a matter of splicing the wires to the original bullet connectors. In my case this was cool because I had bought modules for sequential turn signals, and the new individual wires made this easier to install.

When I first got my car, one of the first things I needed to do was fix the taillights. Someone told me about sockets available from NAPA; I was given a part number, but certainly don't recall it. If I recall, each socket has wires for the bulbs and another for ground. Put a lug on the ground wires and bolt them to the housing. From there, I guess it's a matter of splicing the wires to the original bullet connectors. In my case this was cool because I had bought modules for sequential turn signals, and the new individual wires made this easier to install.

Thanks Gary...I will check with my buddy at NAPA, see if he can narrow it down

Back