64 T third shift shaft leaking profusely on transmission

S

stevetheweave1

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Shift shaft is not worn but seal is deteriorated. I can see that valve body will have to be removed but is there enough side clearance to allow the shaft to be removed and seal replaced without transmission removal? Has anyone done it in car?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

No, there is not quite enough room between the transmission and the body of the car. However, I was able to modify the body with minimal damage to get the shaft out. I didn't take a picture but it involves flattening the standing seam.

Thanks inspector you may have saved me money for a transmission jack. I am excited because I can use my favorite tool the BFH (hammer). My adage is hammer to fit paint to match. Excellent U Tube on seal replacement with transmission out of car 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible restoration part 22 replacing shift shaft seals - YouTube It is a full time job just to get the pan off the transmission but I will get there as soon as possible, thanks for the confidence that it is possible.

Back