64 Landau wipers on everytime starting car

Ezdarryl58
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Newbie every time i fire car up window wipers come on. I push lever to turn off but works its way back up ? Any ideas help

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

64 Landau is not a sufficient title. Your title should be a summary of your post. I will revise.

Newbie every time i fire car up window wipers come on. I push lever to turn off but works its way back up ? Any ideas help
The windshield wipers are powered by the power steering pump. You have a leak/small bypass in the on/off valve. Each time you start the car, and the power steering pump builds pressure, up go your wipers!
Cheers

That makes sense. Are the on/off valves rebuildable or better to replace?

Hi there Darryl

On the '64 here's what the wiper motor beast looks like. I'm guessing the valve that Poppy Red is referring to is actuated by the lever at the top of the photo:

I've not actually dealt with one of these before so I'm spitballing here...

Doug

upload_2019-4-30_4-9-15.png

Thanks ill start with all.lines hoses then if not have my culprit
Unless your lines / hoses are leaking there is really no reason to take any of them apart. As Poppy Red said the problem is most likely the valve for switching wipers on/off. I think that is where you should check first.

Back