64 fuel sending unit and gauge

thunder2010

thunder2010

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a question, I can fill the car with gas but the the gauge only reads 3/4, it also seems to drop really fast, I know its a gas pig, drive for about half an hour and loose a quarter tank on the gauge sometimes....could the float be saturated or would it be something else? any ideas would be welcome.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have a question, I can fill the car with gas but the the gauge only reads 3/4, it also seems to drop really fast, I know its a gas pig, drive for about half an hour and loose a quarter tank on the gauge sometimes....could the float be saturated or would it be something else? any ideas would be welcome.

you don't have to take the gas tank out to replace the sender unit,if you take the left rear wheel of you
can reach the sender unit,
you can also adjust the fuel gauge if you take the chrome ring off there is a little screw if I remember right,
good luck

Great news, thank you , was dreading a tank removal!

I adjusted my gauge. Let the car run out of gas and then adjust the gauge by bending the needle to empty. Put 11 gallons of gas which should measure half. 22 gallon tank. Go from there

I adjusted my gauge. Let the car run out of gas and then adjust the gauge by bending the needle to empty. Put 11 gallons of gas which should measure half. 22 gallon tank. Go from there
You can take the bezel off the gas gauge by a little screw underneath and carefully bend the gauge where you need it to go. It worked for me

Back