64 Bird with an electrical issue.

ArloBirdDriver

ArloBirdDriver

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey bird fans.I’ve got a 64 that I’ve had since 1984. I bought it for 350 bucks and have been working on it since. I had it looking pretty good until a knucklehead hit me in the rear as I was going to a cruise-in. It took over a year to get fixed and it looks great but since it’s return when you turn on the lights the taillights flash and the headlights flicker in time with a faint clicking sound in the dash. I’m thinking a weak or bad ground but let me know what you think.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hey bird fans.I’ve got a 64 that I’ve had since 1984. I bought it for 350 bucks and have been working on it since. I had it looking pretty good until a knucklehead hit me in the rear as I was going to a cruise-in. It took over a year to get fixed and it looks great but since it’s return when you turn on the lights the taillights flash and the headlights flicker in time with a faint clicking sound in the dash. I’m thinking a weak or bad ground but let me know what you think.

Hello Friend, I too have a 64 Thunderbird and had some Electrical issues. One day I had it running in my driveway while I was sweeping up my Garage and the lights started doing the movie "Christine". Unfortunately 2 things might be going on because you weren't driving it while getting it repaired from misfortunate accident. First is your dimmer switch on the floor. It becomes corrosive inside and the contacts do not conduct like they used to, so you'll get flicker when the wiring heats when you turn on your lights. Second thing is your voltage regulator. They will go bad from corresition inside them also and so the contacts again will not make a good electrical circuit. The new style regulators have better parts and if you want to keep it looking original, Don't throw away the old one yet but drill out the rivets, and switch covers. These two items replaced took care of my flickering issue. One more thing to consider is the headlight pull out switch. I hope this helps and please keep me informed of your progress. Take care, Dan {forest hill, Md) P.S. I have the video of my lights flickering if you ever want to see it..EEEEErie though...

Back