64 bird brake issues

A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Evening everyone!
Just rebuilt the front end on my 64 390ci bird and now im having issues with the brakes.
When the frontend was rebuilt i did replace the wheel cylinders and new wheel bearings but used the existing drums, shoes, and hardware since they were all in good shape. Inspected all the brake lines, no leaks.
Bled brakes from furthest from the master working my way to the front with good pressure and fluid flow.
Only issue i saw was the pass front wheel cylinder pistons operated fine (both pistons would expand) when the wife pushed the pedal. I reassembled the brakes again and only the forward piston would move.
Test drove it and it was like stopping a mac truck with both feet.
Any info would be appreciated!

Evening everyone!
Just rebuilt the front end on my 64 390ci bird and now im having issues with the brakes.
When the frontend was rebuilt i did replace the wheel cylinders and new wheel bearings but used the existing drums, shoes, and hardware since they were all in good shape. Inspected all the brake lines, no leaks.
Bled brakes from furthest from the master working my way to the front with good pressure and fluid flow.
Only issue i saw was the pass front wheel cylinder pistons operated fine (both pistons would expand) when the wife pushed the pedal. I reassembled the brakes again and only the forward piston would move.
Test drove it and it was like stopping a mac truck with both feet.
Any info would be appreciated!

Did you possibly get different diameter wheel cylinders?

Some of the new wheel cylinders are now made in China (Dorman). I find them to be of minimal quality. If the rear piston in the wheel cyl is frozen, that would cause it and the hard braking. I would remove the brake shoes and tear down the cylinders and see if there is a rough edge or internal corrosion that is keeping the rear piston from moving.

Back