'64-'66 turn signals repair

P

Philt

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hunting a very nice Flairbird hardtop or convert with a/c.to go with my recently purchased '56 and '61.
But the last three candidates have had faulty turn signals. Help a buddy with a '66 and found the elctromechanic synchronizer had failed and none of the usual tbird parts houses had such a device.
Is replacemnt with a digital synchronizer the only alternative?
Phil in Nashville

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I think you're talking about the 65-66 models, not the 64.
All of these cars DO require a heavy duty flasher, but only the 65-66 versions have the sequencer.

That being said, I HAVE a sequencer for my 64; nor original but looks great. I believe there are drop-in solid state replacements available for the 65-66 (and later models, and Cougars, etc.) but you might be hard-pressed to find an original motor-driven sequencer.

If you HAVE an original, take a look at it. There's a motor, gears, and three contact switches. The inner lamp come on immediately on the flash. One switch turns on the center lamp, another contact turns on the outer lamp, and the last contact is for synchronization, so it starts in the right place when you flick the turn signal. You can clean the motor and contacts, but there's no telling it will last a day, a month, or a year before it gives you trouble again.

Added repair to your subject.
64-'66 turn signals could mean anything.

Hunting a very nice Flairbird hardtop or convert with a/c.to go with my recently purchased '56 and '61.
But the last three candidates have had faulty turn signals. Help a buddy with a '66 and found the elctromechanic synchronizer had failed and none of the usual tbird parts houses had such a device.
Is replacemnt with a digital synchronizer the only alternative?
Phil in Nashville
I've heard digital synchronizer replacement is very simple to install. Plug and play.

Back