62 Tbird sits lower on the drivers side

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
None
Hi, I am looking at buying at buying Tbird, I am currently looking at a 62 model but the body sits lower on the drivers side, like it’s got a lean. Is this something common with the car or is a symptom of a more serious problem.

Thanks Sean

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The coil springs can lose tension. That's probably the cause of the problem but you should have the suspension inspected to make sure it's not something more serious, like collision damage. These cars almost all need suspension work after this many years. That's just the beginning, of course:)

Hi, I am looking at buying at buying Tbird, I am currently looking at a 62 model but the body sits lower on the drivers side, like it’s got a lean. Is this something common with the car or is a symptom of a more serious problem.

Thanks Sean
I had the same issue with my 63. New front coil springs solved the problems. That’s not a big deal but expect it when you buy at Thunderbird.

My 61 also had such a problem. While replacing the rear spring bushings, found a leaf spring had broken. Replaced the leafs and solved the problem. The front end suspension had been rebuilt when I bought the car. Now it riodes like a dream.

I agree. Any car 50 years of age or older is defiantly going to need new suspension components. All that weight sitting on those springs. It’s just like another said par for the course to need to replace them.

Thanks Sean
I had to replace the front springs on my 61 also. Did front and rear. Make sure you order the front springs for AC or NO AC. There are different spring rates depending on AC or not. The springs are not expensive compared to other things and they go in easily. Any relatively competent garage can do it or you can do them yourself if so inclined.

Back