61 Disc Brake Conversion

Larry Crowell

Larry Crowell

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all - I am rebuilding a 61 T-Bird that belonged to my father before he passed. I am considering replacing the front drum brakes with disc brakes and would welcome any thoughts and opinions on this. Thanks for your time.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Larry, I recently did this to my ‘64. I highly recommend it. I didn’t modify the system with a dual master cylinder as many of my friends recommended. I did, however, install a new “stock” master cylinder, new power booster, and all new lines and hoses. It works great! I didn’t install a pressure regulator to rear drums as the Thunderbird supplier said I didn’t need to. I will do that in the future as the front brakes are now doing most of the work.

We converted front and rear to disk, including the dual master cylinder.
Along with all brakes lines and hoses.
Highly recommended the upgrade.
61 convertible.
David

David - did you have to change the wheel size on your 61? I have 14" wheels and it is my understanding that you should go to 15" wheels when you convert to disc brakes. Thanks for the input.

I've heard only good things about the conversion kits. I'm still a bit leery however. I know Tru-Spoke makes them, but after my episode with their wire wheels I'm not so sure I want to try. Are there other manufacturers?

My car (1964) is in the shop right now getting the brakes completely redone. Drums on all four corners. I'm mixed on the idea of changing them. They seem to feel fine, the design has been proven for billions of not trillions of miles on millions of cars over several decades, So I consider them to be safe. Indeed disks are a better design, and a dual master cylinder is a great idea, but I'm not convinced it's necessary. I suppose if I were to use this car for trips, or as a daily driver, the conversion may be well worth it. But as a Saturday night cruiser in Florida, the originals seem quite adequate. I WOULD however like to learn about different companies who make the upgrades, and a comparison.

No, I still have 14" wheels. Kit was supposed to fit, but slight rubbing. Used 1/4" spacers.
Not real happy about spacers, with stock wire whee,s I was not going to change wheels.
Stick with the major parts suppliers and make sure of part availibily.
I experienced Excessive delivery time

15 wheels will make parts easier to find.

I completed a disc brake conversion on my 61. It now stops great.
I also converted to a dual master cylinder, but in order not to cut or notch the support brace to clear the master cylinder, I used a newer style master cylinder with plastic reservoir. I think I got it from ***************** or Birds Nest. It is sold specifically to clear the brace.
Also, I mistakenly rebuilt my stock brake booster while I had everything apart, reinstalled everything and had no “power brake” feel. I had to go to a higher PSI booster because discs require a higher pressure than drums. FYI only.
Rich

Hello all - I am rebuilding a 61 T-Bird that belonged to my father before he passed. I am considering replacing the front drum brakes with disc brakes and would welcome any thoughts and opinions on this. Thanks for your time.
Hi Larry,
My father gave me one of his 63 Thunderbirds of course after I finished the restore on the one he kept. That being said I am
In full restore mode and doing the exact same thing as you. I bought all new lines hoses and a Frount brake kit from Classic brakes on there eBay store because it was cheaper there. It is very important to add a adjustable proportioning valve because disk breaks take more psi as mentioned in another reply, doing so will allow you to adjust the pressure so that the brakes will not lock up.Never cut the support brace the 390 has to much power and would weakened the shock tower. you can rotate the shock tower half a turn to fit the double master and redril the holes or buy the new one from birds Nest or Thunderbird headquarters. Hey this is just my experience thus far best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
We converted front and rear to disk, including the dual master cylinder.
Along with all brakes lines and hoses.
Highly recommended the upgrade.
61 convertible.
David
I know this has been quite a while from your post but where did you buy your full disc conversion I’ve been looking to do that with my 61 I’m starting to restore and was just curious. Thank you
Brendan

Back