57 windshield washer pump

Ward 57

Ward 57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm finally getting to the smaller things after 20+ years of life in the way. I tried the windshield washer pump and got one squirt before it gave up. Washer fluid all over the floor. The 60yo+ rubber gave up the ghost. Has anybody rebuilt their pump and how tough is it to get to? The parts are only $35.

I'm finally getting to the smaller things after 20+ years of life in the way. I tried the windshield washer pump and got one squirt before it gave up. Washer fluid all over the floor. The 60yo+ rubber gave up the ghost. Has anybody rebuilt their pump and how tough is it to get to? The parts are only $35.
It's a bitch to take out and a bitch to replace unless you remove the seat or better yet the dash but it can be done with the seat and dash in place. I removed the pump and sent it to the Wiperman. https://rebuildingtricowipers.com/ He rebuilt it (about $150.00?) and sent it back within a week and I installed it and now it works as it should.

It's a bitch to take out and a bitch to replace unless you remove the seat or better yet the dash but it can be done with the seat and dash in place. I removed the pump and sent it to the Wiperman. https://rebuildingtricowipers.com/ He rebuilt it (about $150.00?) and sent it back within a week and I installed it and now it works as it should.
I'm a small guy so I fit under the dash pretty well. How does it come out? I haven't found any documentation. Shop manual, restoration manual nothing.

Here is what I got
1- remove the pump from the car. The one retainer nut should be on the drivers side under the dash and lower edge of the fire wall cover.
2- Once removed push the rubber pump diaphragm to the rear.
3- Pull the rubber diaphragm out with the nozzle. You can clean and paint the metal housing if you wish.
4- Remove the spring and nozzle from the old diaphragm.
5- Replace the nozzle & spring in the new diaphragm exactly as it came out, the spring small end in the small end of the diaphragm & the nozzle in the large end of the diaphragm. Replace the diaphragm assembly in the metal housing.
6- Reinstall the assemble in the car connect nozzle hose and you should be good to go.
7- You will need to pump the push pedal several times to prime the system and check for fluid leaks
Gil

I can get to the retainer nut but how to you get the plunger out so the tube can be pulled out of the firewall from the engine side? Or do I just have to loosen it without fully removing the the whole assembly just to get the pump out?

Last edited:
I can get to the retainer nut but how to you get the plunger out so the tube can be pulled out of the firewall from the engine side? Or do I just have to loosen it without fully removing the the whole assembly just to get the pump out?
Called Casco and they informed me there is a fastener under the rubber foot pedal cover that will allow me to remove plunger and then the assembly fully.

Found a spring clip under the pedal after pulling off the rubber boot it crumbled, nothing there, looked further It's behind the pedal itself. On my list to replace. Have the pump so it's on my way to finish another project.

Oh, not so simple as it sounds. I finally got the assembly out, but the corrosion I've found Just tying to get the old bellows out of the frame is a challenge. The new bellows are all plastic but the original is metal. A good bench project..

Back