57 windshield washer pump

Ward 57

I'm finally getting to the smaller things after 20+ years of life in the way. I tried the windshield washer pump and got one squirt before it gave up. Washer fluid all over the floor. The 60yo+ rubber gave up the ghost. Has anybody rebuilt their pump and how tough is it to get to? The parts are only $35.

I'm finally getting to the smaller things after 20+ years of life in the way. I tried the windshield washer pump and got one squirt before it gave up. Washer fluid all over the floor. The 60yo+ rubber gave up the ghost. Has anybody rebuilt their pump and how tough is it to get to? The parts are only $35.
It's a bitch to take out and a bitch to replace unless you remove the seat or better yet the dash but it can be done with the seat and dash in place. I removed the pump and sent it to the Wiperman. https://rebuildingtricowipers.com/ He rebuilt it (about $150.00?) and sent it back within a week and I installed it and now it works as it should.

Ward 57

It's a bitch to take out and a bitch to replace unless you remove the seat or better yet the dash but it can be done with the seat and dash in place. I removed the pump and sent it to the Wiperman. https://rebuildingtricowipers.com/ He rebuilt it (about $150.00?) and sent it back within a week and I installed it and now it works as it should.
I'm a small guy so I fit under the dash pretty well. How does it come out? I haven't found any documentation. Shop manual, restoration manual nothing.

Ward 57

Here is what I got from Gil Baumgartner @ CTCI:
1- remove the pump from the car. The one retainer nut should be on the drivers side under the dash and lower edge of the fire wall cover.
2- Once removed push the rubber pump diaphragm to the rear.
3- Pull the rubber diaphragm out with the nozzle. You can clean and paint the metal housing if you wish.
4- Remove the spring and nozzle from the old diaphragm.
5- Replace the nozzle & spring in the new diaphragm exactly as it came out, the spring small end in the small end of the diaphragm & the nozzle in the large end of the diaphragm. Replace the diaphragm assembly in the metal housing.
6- Reinstall the assemble in the car connect nozzle hose and you should be good to go.
7- You will need to pump the push pedal several times to prime the system and check for fluid leaks
Gil

Ward 57

I can get to the retainer nut but how to you get the plunger out so the tube can be pulled out of the firewall from the engine side? Or do I just have to loosen it without fully removing the the whole assembly just to get the pump out?

Last edited:

Ward 57

I can get to the retainer nut but how to you get the plunger out so the tube can be pulled out of the firewall from the engine side? Or do I just have to loosen it without fully removing the the whole assembly just to get the pump out?
Called Casco and they informed me there is a fastener under the rubber foot pedal cover that will allow me to remove plunger and then the assembly fully.