57 Turn & gen/oil jewel replacement

Ward 57

Ward 57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
How do you replace the colored lenses for the indicator lights. The lenses are readily available and mine are fogged up. Tried to clean the gen light and the lettering came right off.

I think you have to take the lights out from the back of the dash. I have bought new lenses for my two lights and have hesitated to get into the job because I hate to get under the dashboard. Maybe somebody will have a good easy way to do it.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the bezel can be carefully pulled out the front. The new lenses slide into the hole until they set on a flat flange and the bezels push back in to hold them in place. I replaced mine 40 years ago and that's how I think I did it. If I remember correctly I used something sharp (like a knife blade) to get in back of the bezel flange to get it out.

Ward- Did you try the suggested route of prying out the bezels, did it work or how did you go about replacing them? Need to do the same thing!
thanks-
cam

Ward- Did you try the suggested route of prying out the bezels, did it work or how did you go about replacing them? Need to do the same thing!
thanks-
cam
From my research, only the instrument bezels can be removed. The indicator bezels are pressed in from the back. Most advise to pull the whole dashboard to gain access. A major project no matter how you look at it.
One guy came up with a solution, Get some stick-on letters, apply them to a thin piece of clear plastic and with a touch of glue trim to fit and place OVER the old jewel. Pretty clever. I think I'll try it.

Last edited:
So the "Gen" and associated bezels can be removed from the front, but not turn signals?

Neither the turn signal nor the gen/oil bezels can be removed. Only the bezels for the instruments. At least you can get to them and clean the lenses and paint the needles. The clock must be removed to clean it but it's easy to do.

So the "Gen" and associated bezels can be removed from the front, but not turn signals?
Removing the instrument cluster is a difficult task. It is normally done
when the dash is being restored with a new pad. The dash pad must be
removed. Removal of the steering column will accommodate the removal of the
instrument cluster. Once the pad is removed go under the dash and
disconnect the the speedometer, tachometer, all instrument and electrical
connections including bulbs every thing must be disconnected from the
cluster. You will find the cluster is secured to the metal dash with studs,
clips and nuts once they are removed the cluster can be removed. The rear
portion is secured to the front portion with screws which must be removed to
separate the front portion revealing the turn signal. oil and generator
jewels.
It is possible, but not recommended, to remove the back portion of the
cluster from the front cluster with out removing the pad and cluster, but
you would need to be very patient, flexible and able to spend a lot of time
under the dash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my instrument redone by Instrument Services. Now putting back in dash. Did not take photos of original setup. How many bulbs in panel and how do you replace the gen and oil pressure jewels. Mine were taped in place

Neither the turn signal nor the gen/oil bezels can be removed. Only the bezels for the instruments. At least you can get to them and clean the lenses and paint the needles. The clock must be removed to clean it but it's easy to do.
Hi,
If I understand you correctly, the chrome bezels for the gages can be removed from the front of the dash. I have been wanting to paint the needles for a long time, but haven't done it - I really do not like to go under the dash, even when I have removed the seat (I am not as slim and flexible as I once was). How do you get the bezels off - pry them off with a knife??
From my research, only the instrument bezels can be removed. The indicator bezels are pressed in from the back. Most advise to pull the whole dashboard to gain access. A major project no matter how you look at it.
One guy came up with a solution, Get some stick-on letters, apply them to a thin piece of clear plastic and with a touch of glue trim to fit and place OVER the old jewel. Pretty clever. I think I'll try it.
Hi,
What about using new, replacement GEN and OIL jewels and cutting them down to fit into the GEN and OIL bezels? do you think that would work?

Excellent, I am going to give cutting down the lenses a try.
Thanks

Excellent, I am going to give cutting down the lenses a try.
Thanks
I haven't Done it yet even though I have the lenses, too many more pressing projects like replacing my passenger door glass and figure out why the original and the replacement I installed years ago keeps developing stress cracks. A dremel with a grinding stone and a compass to scribe the outline should work. Just have to figure out how to secure it when grinding away. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited:
Back