57 Transmission hole

valhalla 4771

valhalla 4771

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The oil cooler lines are clipped to the passenger side of the transmission part #359280. The clip is held by a 7/16-14 x 1/2" bolt into a threaded hole. Approx 10" aft of that hole is a second hole. Same size. On my car there is nothing attached: no clip, no bolt, nothing...just the hole. My literature makes it appear there is only one clip/bolt called for. Can anyone tell me what this second hole is for? It's way too small to handle all the money I'm poring into this project.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If I understand you correctly, the second hole closest to the seat is for inspection of the overdrive solenoid based on the manual transmission. I cannot say if this was uniform for all tbirds or only manual based order from the factory?

If I understand you correctly, the second hole closest to the seat is for inspection of the overdrive solenoid based on the manual transmission. I cannot say if this was uniform for all tbirds or only manual based order from the factory?
hmm. I suppose with Fordomatic they just plugged that hole?

Could you please attach a picture of the clip that is held by the 7/16-14 x 1/2" bolt into the threaded hole and the second hole that is approximately 10" after that hole? I’m getting confused. According to CASCO part number 359280 is a clip that looks like it attaches the transmission cooling lines to the frame rail.

(See attached)

Zoopie is saying the second hole is for inspecting the overdrive solenoid, but since your question is about the transmission oil cooler lines that would indicate to me that you have a Ford-O-Matic transmission and not a 3-speed manual with overdrive.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Part Number 359280.pdf
    171.4 KB · Views: 0
Could you please attach a picture of the clip that is held by the 7/16-14 x 1/2" bolt into the threaded hole and the second hole that is approximately 10" after that hole? I’m getting confused. According to CASCO part number 359280 is a clip that looks like it attaches the transmission cooling lines to the frame rail.

(See attached)

Zoopie is saying the second hole is for inspecting the overdrive solenoid, but since your question is about the transmission oil cooler lines that would indicate to me that you have a Ford-O-Matic transmission and not a 3-speed manual with overdrive.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
yes, its FordOMatic. And you've identified the clip correctly, but it attaches to the transmission case.

Correction....the clip is not attached to the transmission case...don't know why I typed that....its attached to the lower passenger side of the block. And the second hole is also on the block....10" farther back. Sorry for the confusion.

Since my 1955 Thunderbird is equipped with an air cooled Ford-O-Matic transmission, I do not have any oil cooler lines. That's why neither hole is being used on my engine. If the holes in the attached picture are what you are referring to, I would say that the second hole is not supposed to be used on your engine.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Engine Block Holes.jpg
    Engine Block Holes.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back