57 T-Bird speedometer removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
D
Last seen
I've determined that the speedometer on my 57 T-Bird needs to be overhauled. It's jumping all over the place and the meter pegs to the end and has a loud whine sound when it reaches 45 - 50 mph. My problem is removing it.

After a frustrating time on my back under the instrument panel I finally removed the cable, light bulbs and 4 screws. I'm supposed to turn the meter so it aligns with the cut outs in the panel and pull it out. The problem is, I'm not able to turn it far enough to line up the cut outs.

Has anyone done this before and what is the trick?

Thanks

Dan

Yes you can, but it is not a fun job. I removed mine (twice) there was no trick to it but I do remember one of the screws was hard to get at. I would recommend removing the seat to make it easier to get under the dash.

good Luck,
Doug

I've determined that the speedometer on my 57 T-Bird needs to be overhauled. It's jumping all over the place and the meter pegs to the end and has a loud whine sound when it reaches 45 - 50 mph. My problem is removing it.

After a frustrating time on my back under the instrument panel I finally removed the cable, light bulbs and 4 screws. I'm supposed to turn the meter so it aligns with the cut outs in the panel and pull it out. The problem is, I'm not able to turn it far enough to line up the cut outs.

Has anyone done this before and what is the trick?

Thanks

Dan
I just pulled mine. The cut-outs are at 2 & 10 and the tabs are at 3 & 9. I had to wiggle mine around a but Turn it to het one side out then rotate back around to get the other side. A shot or two of some scotch before you crawl back under there will help with your patience.
I've found 2 rebuilds shops; Bob's speedometer in Michigan and Seattle speedometer in Washington for your info.

Does the lens come off so I can paint the needle without removing the whole thing?
The lens does pull off and whatever you do don't pull in the needle like you can a clock. I made that mistake and just pulled it to send it off for repair.

I just pulled mine. The cut-outs are at 2 & 10 and the tabs are at 3 & 9. I had to wiggle mine around a but Turn it to het one side out then rotate back around to get the other side. A shot or two of some scotch before you crawl back under there will help with your patience.
I've found 2 rebuilds shops; Bob's speedometer in Michigan and Seattle speedometer in Washington for your info.
Just found another, Tacoma speedometer. They specialize in fords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back