57 Stubborn Brake Drum Removal

C

Clif57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I’d like to check out my brake drum, shoes , cylinder for any possible leaks, and in general clean things up. Having trouble removing the brake drum. I noticed two holes in-between the studs. I suspect they might be for inserting a screw , tightening the screw and forcing the drum off. If this is true,41FC62E2-9B36-447C-AB60-82396974D033.jpeg what size screw do I need? One other thing, suggest other ways of removing the drum... Have looked all over the internet. You’re my last chance for success.

I’d like to check out my brake drum, shoes , cylinder for any possible leaks, and in general clean things up. Having trouble removing the brake drum. I noticed two holes in-between the studs. I suspect they might be for inserting a screw , tightening the screw and forcing the drum off. If this is true,View attachment 12344 what size screw do I need? One other thing, suggest other ways of removing the drum... Have looked all over the internet. You’re my last chance for success.
No screws!
1. Make sure you adjust the shoes from the back to loosen them
2. Make sure emergency brake is off
3. Spray penetrating oil around studs and center hub and let it soak for a while
4. Might need to smack around drum with a big hammer to break loose the drum
5. Wiggle off the drum

Would have been my suggestion exactly. Good solid blows with that somewhat heavy ball pien hammer.
make sure those adjusters are backed off :)

The picture that Clif57 attached is the front drum. So if that is the end that he is having trouble with then just undo the nut and slide the drum off the spindle.

No screws!
3. Spray penetrating oil around studs and center hub and let it soak for a while
5. Wiggle off the drum
I’d like to check out my brake drum, shoes , cylinder for any possible leaks, and in general clean things up. Having trouble removing the brake drum. I noticed two holes in-between the studs. I suspect they might be for inserting a screw , tightening the screw and forcing the drum off. If this is true,View attachment 12344 what size screw do I need? One other thing, suggest other ways of removing the drum... Have looked all over the internet. You’re my last chance for success.
First; Do you have a shop manual? If not get one. The front drum shown is removed after removing the cotter pin and the castellated nut. The drum will then slide off.

If it is a rear drum, Yes to everything said above, but what turned the trick for me was as follows: put tension on the drum to remove it (a drum puller would be ideal, but I just used a 2x4 and long bolts bent at the ends to go behind the drum, the other ends through the 2x4 with tightening nuts, the 2x4 was then pressing down on the hub studs), then use an air hammer to rattle the drum and it should pop off.

The picture that Clif57 attached is the front drum. So if that is the end that he is having trouble with then just undo the nut and slide the drum off the spindle.
Ron56: You hit the nail on the head.It is the front drum. Obviously my ignorance shows what a dimwit I am. I’ve spent two days trying to remove the drum. With your advice... Less than 5 minutes. You can’t imagine how grateful I am. Thanks again.

No screws!
5. Wiggle off the drum
As an old car guy and former PA state inspection mechanic I agree with the penetrating oil and hammer advice. the old drums all rust and stick around the center axle so be generous with some WD40. Wait 20 minutes and use a small sledge or heavy hammer but ONLY hit the edge of the drum (fatest part). hitting the edge also causes more rebound. Two or three good sMack’s and the drum will literally pop loose. Hit the drum at 6 o’clock... turn 90 degrees and hit again at 6 o’clock, etc.

The easiest way to remove the brake Drum.
Remove the entire drum & hub assembly. Remove the cotter pin then remove the crown nut. Tap the top of the drum and the outer bearing will slide off. At that point you can remove the drum & Hub assembly as one piece. While you've got the durm & Hub off repack the front wheel bearings.
The drum on your car may not separate from the Hub. Many of the drums at the time were swedge to the hub.
To separate it's best to go to a machine shop. If the Drums are good, there's no reason to separate them

Back