57 oil pan and cooler lines

valhalla 4771

valhalla 4771

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Before I get into trouble, I thought I would ask first....I need a new oil pan gasket. Can I drop the oil pan without removing any of the power steering equipment or the oil pump housing?
One of the oil cooler lines attaches to the rear of the oil pan. That connection looks a little tight to work on. Is it better to attach that line with the oil pan installed, or should I attach the line (finger tight) to the oil pan and then install the oil pan?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Transmission lines do not need to be removed to drop oil pan. I have found it a bit easier to remove oil pump before pan removal. loosen pickup tube jam nuts on both ends.
service manual outlines procedures.

There are two nuts on the oil pan at the front end that are under the cross member. Can't get an open end or a standard rachet and socket onto the nut. I've tried using a universal socket with a 5/16 socket. I can get the socket seated onto the nut but can't get any rotational torque on the nut. I see that they make a 5/16 universal socket. which changes the geometry a bit. Before I buy it, does anyone have a good solution?

I haven't checked the geometry but I did buy a while ago a set of combination wrenches with open end on one end and a hinged articulation ratcheting gear, box head on the other. It works like a ratchet and socket but with the handle off set. Picture a distributor wrench which is offset to get around the distributor head but the handle is upright. Kind of like an "L". those have helped me out in many tight places.

I ended up making my own tool by grinding down a 1/2" socket and part of a knuckle joint on a 1/4" drive and used 9" extension (no rachet), Works great. The very shallow socket holds the retainer screw nicely when trying to re-insert.

I still have my doubts that the pan will come out without first removing some of the power steering equipment, but I have to solve the oil pump inlet tube issue first.

To close out this thread, I found the only way to drop the oil pan on my 57 that has power steering was to drop the steering gear, starting with the idler arm and taking off whatever else was in the way. Once I started down this path I figured I might as well replace all the rubber bumpers so now all the steering linkage is off the car, the oil pan is out, cleaned, painted, and ready to reinstall with a new gasket.

Back