57 hardtop hoist

S

southpaw

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
hi i am wondering is anyone has seen a not-to-pricey manual hoist that can be used in a garage for the top? there is one on the thread from 2010. but the diagram didnt show all dimensions nor the straps. is there a commercial one or better yet a homemade one with which someone had success? thanx !

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

hi i am wondering is anyone has seen a not-to-pricey manual hoist that can be used in a garage for the top? there is one on the thread from 2010. but the diagram didnt show all dimensions nor the straps. is there a commercial one or better yet a homemade one with which someone had success? thanx !
Bought this at harbor freight with a 20% off coupon for under 50 bucks. I Had the straps and bolts in my garage, so I got off pretty cheap and it serves the purpose nicely.
0215201816a.jpg0215201816b.jpg0215201815.jpg0215201814.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
great. i got a h,f, near me .. i like how you positioned the straps to account for the heavier rear of the top!

Since you were asking for a manual hoist, CASCO sells a Hard Top Hoist Kit with a simple strap and pulley system to help raise hard top off the car and store it on ceiling for $37.95.

https://www.classictbird.com/Hardtop-Hoist-Kit/productinfo/HTHOIST/

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

thanx so much doug: perfect--inexpensive and simple. also i was unaware of the website. i will likely visit it often!

great. i got a h,f, near me .. i like how you positioned the straps to account for the heavier rear of the top!
Larry's T Bird has the manual version for 66$. Works good but you need to use a nylon rope, used a lesser one that let loose, not pretty.

Southpaw,
Here is a post from me last April. Works great, let me know if you have any q's.

"Bill, I think I saw the same youtube post as you, and the vendor didn't exist anymore. I ended up making a similar bracket to hoist my hardtop, cost about $30. I used a hoist on bought on Amazon and used lags to secure into ceiling joists. Very easy to operate, and you can position the car under the hood to be lowered. I've attached a couple of pics fyi. BOM for the hanger bracket below. Good luck."

3313_e073f32794650c2dc37535ff37fa16fe.JPG

3326_c3b01c1783a73d31f0509a93f4ed4258.JPG

1 3/4" x 6' black iron pipe
1 3/4" x 4' " " "
10'- 12' ss aviation cable
3 1/4" threaded eye-bolts
2 carabiners - note load when purchasing these
2 cable clamps
3 3/4" x 6' pipe insulation

I used the nylon strap type hoist with the small block and tackle pulley arrangement that I got from one of the major T-Bird suppliers for many years. It was inexpensive and worked well but I never liked the way it deformed the weatherstripping on the sides and under the back window. So I came up with this arrangement using my same block and tackle from the kit and parts from Home Depot for about $80.00. What I like about this arrangement is that the center of gravity, and thus all of the weight, of the top is right at the side locating pins. thus the top "balances " on the pins. The strap to the rear and the separate strap to the front are strictly safety straps in case the top should tip forward or aft. Normally, they are both loose. Very similar to the hoist above. I used wood as I was worried about possibly scratching the top. But I can see that using softeners with pipe would work just as well. the key to these hoists is to have everything level (plumb).
April 7 2018 1472.jpgApril 7 2018 1473.jpg

I have both the nylon strap hoist and a rolling hardtop storage cart. I find using the rolling storage cart is quicker, since the hardtop only weighs 85 pounds my wife and I can easily remove it and place it on the rolling cart. When I did use the nylon strap hoist, I used metal covers that I made from 3/32” aluminum to protect the hard top weather strips. You don’t have to use aluminum, any thin metal will work. I covered the top edges of the metal covers with a strip of duct tape to protect the hard top from any damage . The plans to make the metal covers were published in one of the CASCO ThunderEnlightening newsletters.

Metal-Cover-To-Protect-The-Hard-Top-Seals.jpg
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back