57 coolant capacity

Ward 57

Ward 57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After replacing my lower radiator hose this spring I just refilled with water. Now it's time to put antifreeze back in.
The shop manual states capacity at 20 quarts. If I drain the radiator via the petcock on the bottom how much will drain out so I know how much antifreeze I need to add to get to a 50-50 mix?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi,
I recently replaced my 57 radiator, hoses, and thermostat, but before I did I flushed and cleaned the radiator with Blue Devil flush then distilled water several times (always followed by a 20-minute drive) then drained it thru the petcock until the water was clear. Each bucket it the photo was a single drain thru the petcock. Each represents 2 gallons or 8 quarts.
Hope this helps,
Jay
1 group flush.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After replacing my lower radiator hose this spring I just refilled with water. Now it's time to put antifreeze back in.
The shop manual states capacity at 20 quarts. If I drain the radiator via the petcock on the bottom how much will drain out so I know how much antifreeze I need to add to get to a 50-50 mix?
Drain out 10 qts of water and replace them with 10 qts of antifreeze.

The problem may be that you may also have to drain some from the block to get 10 qts out. Also to "fill" the system you may have to remove the high point heater hose near the thermostat to bleed the air out of the block as you add the fluid to completely fill the system. When I drain my system. Mix the water and antifreeze 50-50in a separate container and add the mixture to the system. It saves the trouble you are experiencing with getting the mixture right.
Good Luck

Well I can't drain the block as all the drain cocks were replaced with plugs when the engine was replaced 30+ years ago. The 8 qts buy draining the radiator should be sufficient in my climate and in the garage.

Well I can't drain the block as all the drain cocks were replaced with plugs when the engine was replaced 30+ years ago. The 8 qts buy draining the radiator should be sufficient in my climate and in the garage.

You can't remove the plugs and install petcocks? It is good to do to completely flush the block.
Just to be sure w/r to freezing you could check your final mixture with a hydrometer to determine the actual freezing temperature.

I could, but I'm not going there. If I was in Alaska with sub 30deg. I'd consider it. I do have an antifreeze hydrometer to just be sure I have sub zero coverage.

I know this is 18 months ago…but is right for this question:
I want to flush out my radiator completely and was reading about using high volume low pressure air to reach inside the block and try to get as much water/ coolant out of the complete system. Removing the thermostat and rigging up an adapter for the shop vac to blow exhaust air into the thermostat housing, should do just that. Am I right?

I want to try that Www.Evanscoolant.com waterless anti-freeze … check it out if you have a minute

Instead of going through all of that, as mentioned in this thread, why can't you open the 3 drain cocks or remove the water jacket drain plugs to drain the water from inside the block?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Water Jacket Drain Plug.jpg

Drain Cock.jpg

Clearly a great option but the more work I can do from an upright position, the better off I am. My dirt driveway inhibits using any kind of creeper. My friend has a great lift but I feel horrible tying it up especially since he has all of his cars in there and any overnight requirement force him to keep his stuff outdoors and I know that could bug him and me. I am slower than any shop rate manual so an hour job may take 4. And, being my first foray in to automotive engines ( and this is a big one) I didn’t know I could do that and they were almost reachable. I’ll check this out when I get home. Supposed to be 56 degrees here later and Saturday as well. By the way Doug, the fuel pump pressure is running just over 4 so… I’ll put the carb back and and see were it goes. The rebuild was uneventful and was pretty straight forward. Bought two large boxes of baking soda from BJ’s club to use in my glass bead cabinet and a gallon of that carb dip to soak and clean. Looks like it should be in a case on a shelf…really pretty

Since you have no block drain petcocks and don't want to remove the plugs, remove the bottom hose at the radiator and let the water drain from there. Then you can count the number of gallons removed. Never heard of someone rebuilding an engine and not putting in petcocks in the block.

Talking of petcocks for the block, I ran across these. A marine item and a better drain valve. Fits both the radiator and the block on my Yblocks. Should be available from any marine parts store

Attachments

• drain valve.jpg
    drain valve.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back