'57 Clock/Temp Removal

dickday0

dickday0

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone ever removed the clock and/or the temp gauge in your '57 with the dash still attached? The clock doesn't work and the needle in the temp gauge is just laying there. I will have lots of idle time on my hands until Spring and it would be nice to work on them.

I have pictures of the back of the cluster/pod, so I know where everything should be. Just curious if there are any gotchas I need to know about before starting.

Thanks

Yes you can take them both out with the dash installed in car. You have to get under the dash to see the back of gauges, Take the bolts out and on the temp gauge you have a ground strap to take loose then pull the gauges out the back. It is very hard to get under dash with seat in car if you are very big. So you might want to remove the seat.
Good luck not easy but can be done.

I didn't seem to have any problems getting up and behind the dash. I just cannot get the barnacle glue they used to break loose. At a better angle, I'm sure I could pry it loose. Is the see-through lens part of the dash, or is it part of the clock?

Thanks!

57 T-bird Clock- I didn't see a response on the clock removal, and weather the lens is part of dash or clock. I'm seeing two levels on the back of the clock where there are screws, which ones are the attach points?

Disregard, the clock was stuck via old gasket and had to be payed off.

You are amazing. I can get my body under there but only have the use of one hand. What did you use to pry it off?

Screwdriver on the bottom of the clock using the bottom of the dash as leverage point.

Sent it to "Thunderbird Headquarters" for new movement, they in turn send it out to 3rd party, 6 weeks turn around, $230.00. Awaiting arrival. I would try to find a direct clock repair to cut out middleman. Good luck!

I've got a couple of '56 sedan clocks I harvested in my 20's. The movements work great but one will not wind all the way up and the other won't wind down enough get it to reset. I'll take them to a local watch smith and see if he can get one working. I'll then pull my original and see if it's repairable. No one would know the difference but the standard ford clock has the adjusting dial in a frown and the T-Bird has that dial as a smile.

Has anyone ever removed the clock and/or the temp gauge in your '57 with the dash still attached? The clock doesn't work and the needle in the temp gauge is just laying there. I will have lots of idle time on my hands until Spring and it would be nice to work on them.

I have pictures of the back of the cluster/pod, so I know where everything should be. Just curious if there are any gotchas I need to know about before starting.

Thanks
For the clock removal and replacement it's easy, but remove the neg battery terminal and inline fuse first so you don't short out. You need a small Phillips, or at least my three screws were Phillips. and just get under the dash and get it done.

I'm redoing my ground wires and going to install a battery switch at the same time. Just a twist and it's disconnected. Need to re-key my ignition to match the door lock and cutting power will be a snap.

Has anybody painted the needles on the clock and speedo? I've got the clock out and have oiled the movement so it runs but I need to paint the needles. Will they come off and replace easily? Any suggestions?

Back