'57 clock amperage draw

Ward 57

Ward 57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I removed my original '57 clock and cleaned and oiled it with synthetic clock oil. It took about a week of coaxing it and now it runs consistently YAY!
I installed a battery switch so I can shut everything down when I'm tinkering with the electrics. How long can I keep the system energized before the clock could drain the battery in storage?

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

How long can I keep the system energized before the clock could drain the battery in storage?
There are two types of original movements Fomoco used from 50s well into the 70s, at least. Do you have the points and spring type, or the motor type? The points type movement can likely go a month without issue. I have that type in the factory clock in my '70 Cougar and have forgotten to hook up the trickle charger more than once without issue. The motor type is constant draw and I have that in my '58 Mercury. Maybe 2 - 2.5 weeks before battery too drawn down to start the car. YMMV.

I have the motion with the points and solenoid to wind the mechanism. It hasn't worked in over 30 years so I couldn't determine how long I could go before needing to disconnect the battery between trips. Thanks.

Back